Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Wireless Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Help

Wireless Help

I'm pulling out my hair over this! I have my airport extreme base station working with my Powerbook perfectly but I want to add support for my parents winbox. I have using a Siemens External USB Wireless Adapter. The thing is the adapter does connect but doesn't get an IP address whatsoever while the Powerbook quickly and easily is able to get an IP. This is the setup ...

Cable Modem --> Cable Router/Switch ---> Airport Base Station

(Gets 1 Address) ------> (Gets the 1 address, gives local IPs via DHCP)-> (Shares 1 IP... default)

The PC hardware is set up correctly but I am wondering if there is something that I am forgetting with the base station. Help!

Good Guru

Re:Wireless Help

is the MAC address entered into the airport? I recall some WAP units need that, as a form of security.

ATM I have that turned off so that any MAC can connect assuming you have the correct passphrase.

The Win box is defaulting to it's automatic private local address (162.*). Even when I force a compatible network IP it doesn't get a response besides holding the connection.

Does windows xp even support 802.11b/g via hardware?! It doesn't recognive the usb wireless adapter as a network interface at all ... just as a wireless connection.

Good Guru

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=4;threadid=6946;start=0#64644 date=1052088719]
    The Win box is defaulting to it's automatic private local address (162.*). Even when I force a compatible network IP it doesn't get a response besides holding the connection.
    [/quote]

woe -- if Win cant see it the something other than the usual "linux incompatibilty issue" bullshit. And from reading the following post, it leads me to dive over to Netgears site and read up a bit. I have yet to do anything useful in WLAN, but I cant see it being that much different (like adding encryption so you cant sniff the data with a radio).

Ill chime in soon.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6946;start=0#64736 date=1052244303]

woe -- if Win cant see it the something other than the usual "linux incompatibilty issue" bullshit. And from reading the following post, it leads me to dive over to Netgears site and read up a bit.
    [/quote]

The card is a Seimens 1022 USB Wireless Card. I have (just today) been able to get WinXP to figure out that it is a wireless adapter but it still defaults to it's local private address.

I have yet to do anything useful in WLAN, but I cant see it being that much different (like adding encryption so you cant sniff the data with a radio).

Ill chime in soon.
    Right now I have the local wireless network running with harldy any restrictions at all and it still can't get an IP address via dchp! I hope this isn't yet another case of bad hardware (YACBH).

Good Guru

Well ... I am stumped. Have you tried this on another PC by chance? I am rather sure that its either A) Something we are BOTH missing (and apparently everyone else at LJR that has any clue about WLANs) or B) Hardware. I have read up at Netgear's and Linksys' sites and they are pretty much the same for info, plug it in, install the driver, configure the driver. I am not seeing anything way out of the ordinary for getting a NIC to work. Whether its USB, PCI, or PCMCIA.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6946;start=0#64855 date=1052417219]
    Well ... I am stumped. Have you tried this on another PC by chance?
    [/quote]

No I havn't, but it should work withotu any problems on the current PC. The USB port is fine, and the software and drivers are there.

I am rather sure that its either A) Something we are BOTH missing (and apparently everyone else at LJR that has any clue about WLANs) or B) Hardware. I have read up at Netgear's and Linksys' sites and they are pretty much the same for info, plug it in, install the driver, configure the driver. I am not seeing anything way out of the ordinary for getting a NIC to work. Whether its USB, PCI, or PCMCIA.
    I agree. I have contacted tech support at seimens and they have yet to reply. It has been about 4 days so far!

Ok, it's all better now. It turns out that some wireless cards don't have hexadecimal passhprase areas and you have to convert it yourself and enter it instead of entering the normal pasphrase.