Thread: redhat certified technician

Hybrid View

redhat certified technician

Just wondering, has anyone here taken the RHT test? What was involved, what did u have to know? etc...

Good Guru

Re:redhat certified technician

It seems more and more apparent that it is like the intern type level test, whereas Jr (and on up) SysAdmins go after the RHCE. But make your own interpretation

Heres what RedHat says :

We are pleased to announce a new certification: Red Hat Certified Technician (RHCT). RHCT provides performance based certification for Linux techs who are competent to set up new Linux systems and attach these to a production network.

The RHCT Exam is a half-day performance based exam, and will be included in RH133 Red Hat Linux System Administration (4.5 days) starting in January 2003, the fourth anniversary of the RHCE Program.

RHCT is an ideal technician level credential for persons supporting Linux systems throughout the organization. RHCT is a good choice for those transitioning to Linux from non-UNIX OSes, or who want to prove their competencies at a midway point on the way to RHCE, one of the ten hottest certifications in the IT industry.

RHCT tests a technician-specific subset of the skills tested in RHCE:

* RHCTs will typically not be making the decisions about how to set up production network services and network security. Thus, RHCT does not test the networking services and network security skills required to earn RHCE.

* RHCT tests a smaller group of diagnostics and troubleshooting skills than RHCE, which tests these skills more comprehensively. Some persons taking RHCE who do not pass all items required for RHCE may pass all items required to earn RHCT. Official RHCE test results will indicate scores relative to both RHCT and RHCE.

Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE), Red Hat Certified Technician (RHCT) and all of Red Hat's Developer, Security, and eBusiness courses offer the following values and qualities:

* Most mature and respected program in the Linux space
    * Most up-to-date technical content, always updated for each new release of Red Hat Linux
    * High quality courseware, labs, instruction, and program design
    * Performance-based certification and proof of actual competency: RHCE
    * Emphasis on hands-on practical skills, relevant to today's roles for Linux
    * Multiple tracks, with entry points for all IT backgrounds and skill levels
    * Independent surveys, proven quality and performance metrics
    * Guaranteed satisfaction (see our Guarantee)
    * Quality assured through RHCE certification of instructors and Training Partners
    * Value-added services at Certification Central for those who earn RHCE

To see what other customers and reviewers are saying about Red Hat's training and certification programs and RHCETM certification, please visit News and Reviews.

Individual Students should review the Student Guide before coming to class. FAQs provide answers to frequently asked questions about the RHCE certification and RHCE Exam.

Red Hat also offers courses that focus on specific areas of expertise, such as e-business, security and embedded technologies.

All courses are designed to create a basis for further development and real-world practice. Good training can provide a foundation; the participant must do the rest. As an alternative to classroom-based training, Red Hat offers an extensive set of online courses.

Our audience focus is the IT professional: technician, system administrator, network administrator, system engineer, web engineer, and developer. Our technical focus is on the skills and competencies required to manage Linux servers and systems for mission-critical commercial and business roles, including: internet server, web server, database server, MTA server, ISP, DNS server, firewalls, web proxies, file and print server, departmental server, technical workstations, and development platform.

The main reason is that I am not sure where I stand on my abilities with linux. All my use has mainly been on a cursory level. I have setup some minor stuff before, but nothing major. Im stuck on a dial-up, so I cant really get any experience with a major website or email server.

Good Guru

You do not need to be setting up major networks to have practice with Linux. If you have more than one box, you are in for setting up any kind of servers ( Web, mail, FTP, remote access, etc ). Remember, Linux is multiuser OS.

Ive setup a webserver with php and mysql before, but only with the help of a book, some marginal dns stuff. I setup a ftp server the other day with no docs, but it had some wierd issues, it wouldnt let any windows clients access it. I tried a network install a few hours ago, the ftp install went tits up, so I went with nfs. It found the files and started installing, but always crapped out at around 60% or so. I tried it about 5 times before I had to quit and get ready for work. Networking I can do, I think its easier in linux than it is in windows.

Good Guru

Take a look at the list of services or daemons and familiarize yourself with each one. Some are mods or extensions to a main one, like all of the cron daemons. Hell there has to be at least 3 that you could run. But then you have other ones like ssh, nfs, samba, apache, dhcpd, and tripwire that only use a server side daemon and then the client gets a daemon. Learn those well, and learn how to customize X a little bit. Like disabling ctl-alt-backspace, or doing a thin client (look up LTSP, the linux terminal server project).

By doing a project like that, you WILL definitely enhance your linux skills. Especially when you do it 2 or 3 times and the fourth time its done via memory ;D

Maybe this info will help you out.

The RHCE certificate requires passing the RHCE Certification Lab Exam. The RHCE Certification Lab Exam is composed of three elements: a multiple choice test (1 hour); a server install and network services configuration lab (2 1/2 hours); and a diagnostics and troubleshooting lab (2 1/2 hours). The two performance based parts of the Lab Exam present realistic problems that require planning, diagnosis, and development of complete solutions.

The RHCT certificate requires passing the RHCT Certification Lab Exam. The RHCT Certification Lab Exam will be composed of two elements: a diagnostics and troubleshooting lab (1 hour), and system install configuration, and attachment to network (2 hours). RHCT is thus entirely performance based, with no multiple choice component. RHCT presents realistic problems that require planning, diagnosis, and development of complete solutions.

Give you an idea of what both exams require you to do.

Price difference:

RHCE $749
    RHCT: $349

Theres a LINUX Cerfication book avail on IBMs website..I cant remember where exactly, but I think I have it backed up somewhere.....I'll be home in about 45 minutes, someone IM me and remind me to go and get it after BtVS goes off.

I took the RHCE 300 class. It was a five day class with the test at the end. The class sucked. My teacher was the worst. I picked up a book RHCE by Michale Jang that was 10 times better than the class. RH is a great OS but they are getting nuts with their training. The first section of the test was debugging, you have 7 things to fix. You had to get the first four done in an hour to move on to the rest. If you didn't get the first four you failed the entire test. It makes no sense. The test is strongly based on file system errors, and boot problems. If you want to pass, get that book, take 6 months to go through it 2 times and then take the test. Make sure you do all the practice stuff and whatever you do, don't stop trying new projects with Linux. That is my 2 cents.

yo mountainman...shut up...i should smack you around dood. nah i'm just messing with you. this is SA Bell if you hadn't figured that out already. Working on trying to learn Linux now, and i'm going to try to start on Certs...start with Linux+ i guess...anyways...any good info you have or know of, hook me up...i need all the help i can get. If i fail the test, the navy won't reimburse me lol...lata man...gimme a call 8)