Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

CD-RW drive install
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CD-RW drive install

CD-RW drive install

Added a new cd-rw, followed the PET, but get this when I mount it:
    mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

Now before this I accidently deleted the entire /dev/cdrom directory. So /dev/cdrom wasn't a block device - just a regular file. Now I tried making a new block device file (/dev/cdrom) with the mknod command. But when I link em:
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
    ln: `/dev/cdrom': File exists
    arggg this is frustrating. Ive done this before but now it's being a bitch because I deleted the original /dev/cdrom file (and I dont have a /dev/cdrom1). Need some help...

Re:CD-RW drive install

ln -fs, force symbolic link, though most of the time it is not a very good idea.

hey redhat - please post the output of
    ls -l /dev | grep cdro

also please pot /etc/fstab entried for cdrom and the output of cdrecord -scanbus

alright after forcing the link (-f switch):

Code:
    [root@furio redhat]# ls -l /dev | grep cdro
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 May  6 18:59 cdrom -> /dev/scd0
    My fstab:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,rw 0 0

(only listed what was needed)

does cdrecord -scanbus return anything?

Oh my bad, I forgot you asked for that. Yes, scanbus does recognize the burner. I can burn CDs but not mount the cd-rw to read cd's. Did this fubar up because I deleted the original /dev/cdrom?

hello,
    is this similar to what you get when you type ls -l /dev/scd0 ?
    Code:
    [pbharris@bugs ~]ls -l /dev/scd0 
    brw-------    1 pbharris disk      11,   0 Jan 30 04:24 /dev/scd0
    [pbharris@bugs ~]
    one thing you may wish to ry is ejecting the CD, putting it back into the drive and then mounting it (if you haven't tried)

Yeah pbharris, that's what I get and I've tried ejecting a CD. I really think the problem is I deleted the block file /dev/cdrom, and you can't just create a new /dev/cdrom because it won't be a block file; it'll be just a regular file. You can use the mknod command but that didnt work too well; I still need to read up on that. I think what I need to do is get someone else's /dev/cdrom block file or find one that I may have in a backup. Agree with me?

pbharris, I did this:
    Code:
    [root@furio root]# mknod /dev/cdrom b 10 16
    [root@furio root]# ls -l /dev/cdrom
    brw-r--r--    1 root     root      10,  16 May  6 20:42 /dev/cdrom
    [root@furio root]# ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom
    ln: `/dev/cdrom': File exists
    Ok so umm why can't I link those two?

yes! i agree very much - in fact the one i posted up there is my block file for /dev/scd0 here is what i would do

rm /dev/scd0
    rm /dev/cdrom
    mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0
    ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom