Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

non-bootable .iso

Thread: non-bootable .iso

non-bootable .iso

A well meaning buddy, (with a lot of letters after his name like MSCA , etc) tried to save me the time and trouble of getting Shrike from cheapbytes, so sent me the .iso s.

Trouble is, while he has broadband, (and that willl never reach clear to here), he is Linux-challenged (but I'm working on him and that, and maybe making progress) , so the .iso won't self boot nor mount, nor autorun.

Is there any way I:
    1) can boot them?
    2) make them bootable?
    3) Get them to load or run?
    4) Install IF I mv to HD?

mediacheck won't run either. It does appear the file sizes are correct, but I forget the MD5 syntax to check even that.

<20/20 hindsight=on>
    Putting an order into cheapbytes would have been easier and faster, as the first set he sent had only about 20%of the image, the second set he sent got lost in the mail, this is the third set ;-(
    <20/20 hindsight />

TIA,

Ken

Re:non-bootable .iso

Trouble is, while he has broadband, (and that willl never reach clear to here), he is Linux-challenged (but I'm working on him and that, and maybe making progress) , so the .iso won't self boot nor mount, nor autorun.
    What do you mean it won't boot or mount? Do you know how he burned it? did he burn the iso image as an image, making all the files available on the cd, or did he just copied one big iso file into the cd?

I'm not sure *how* he burned it, all I know for sure is he is impared by using M$2000 My *guess* is that he /copied/ the .iso to CD Another guess is that he did whatever a M$ guru would do, (with zero knowledge of Linux) whatever that is...I don't use M$ anymore so forgot what that is.

Here is what I find on disk 1:

[root@ken root]# ls -a /mnt/cdrom1
    . .. shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    [root@ken root]#

and it contains 638 mb

By not booting, I mean when I cold boot the system *with* the new .iso in cdrom1 the system boots into Psyche, not the cdrom - Shrike install

By not mounting I mean I can't get anything to happen *BY*:
    mount /dev/cdrom1 or
    mount /mnt/cdrom1 or
    autorun /mnt/cdrom1 or
    double clicking the .iso or any other tricks known to ME, thus my plea to the $dietys here.

Gonna go out on a limb and assume we're on the same level.

OK. Assuming you're able to double-click on the ISO, that means you're reading the CD contents and the cd is mounted. You're using Psyche, and Psyche does this automatically for you. You're also right in that he just copied the ISO to the cd. To make a bootable cd out of it, first copy the ISO to the hard drive. Go to that directory in a shell, and become root. Now you need to use cdrecord to make the ISO into something you can boot from. Just in case you're not familiar, here's a quick crash-course in cdrecord.

First, become root user. Enter "cdrecord -scanbus". Do you see your cd writer listed? If not, that's an entirely different problem (post if it's not listed and we'll try to get things going for you). Make note of the numbers associated with it. They'll probably 0,0,0 or 0,1,0 but they could be something else. Insert a blank CD into your drive, go to the directory containing the ISO and type "cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -dao -data filename.iso". If memory serves, that's the correct syntax. Of course you'll have to change the dev=0,0,0 line to match the info given in cdrecord -scanbus, and change the speed to be whatever you want. This will extract the contents of the ISO and burn them onto a blank cd that will, in theory, be bootable. You'll have to do this for all of them (last I recall RH needed at least 3 CDs to install).

hello ken,
    he copied the ISO to the CD. you could copy the isos to hard drive and do a disk install - just know where they are.

paul

Yeah. If you have a burner, you can burning the iso images to bootable cd's. Here is a PET on that, thanks to Coltrane. http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=94

If not, copy all the iso images to your hard drive and mount them, and install from there. http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-483.html

Yep, thanks guys... I thought I was able to write > Have before ..

Here's what I get after getting the .iso to my HD and attempting to write the first one.

any cluebies as to what went wrong or better yet how to make it right? / write ?

[root@ken root]# md5sum /root/iso1/shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad /root/iso1/shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    [root@ken root]# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=2 -dao -data /root/iso1/shrike-i386-disc1.iso
    Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
    scsidev: '0,0,0'
    scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 1
    Vendor_info : 'IOMEGA '
    Identifikation : 'ZIPCD 4x650 '
    Revision : '1.04'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
    Driver flags : SWABAUDIO
    Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for single session.
    Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
    cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
    CDB: 55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 3C 00
    Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 13 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 00
    Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
    Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0
    Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
    cmd finished after 0.007s timeout 200s
    cdrecord: Warning: using default CD write parameter data.
    Mode Select Data 00 15 00 00 05 32 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 96 00
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    cdrecord: Cannot open new session.
    [root@ken root]#

WooHoo!

I went back and studied Coltrane and finally got the suckers written. Helps when I don't read too fast the first twelve times through something.

Gawd I love it when I see success.

Now on to see if they install ;-)

Thanks, guys!

Ken