Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LILO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LILO

Hybrid View

Mentor

LILO

My machine b00ts to hda1 with three options for Linux (LILO)

I would like to add hda2 to the LILO menu. At present I have to use a boot-floppy to get to hda2. LILO in hda2 has three options for Linux also.

What to do?

Does your system have some sort of LILO configurator? Otherwise (and I hate to say this, because I know how hard it is to read), You'll have to read the LILO HowTo that is likely installed on your Linux system. Do a locate for HowTo at the command line. If this gives an error, type:

Code:
    updatedb
    Then try the locate command again. Oh, and you may want to send the locate output to less:

Code:
    locate HowTo | less
    If there is one HowTo installed on your system, there will be tons of HowTo's installed on your system.
    Steve

Mentor
    snct, I found this:

root@boxone:~# lilo.real -A /dev/hda 2
    pt[1] -> 0
    pt[2] -> 80
    The partition table has been updated.
    root@boxone:~#

What does "The partition table has been updated." mean????

root@boxone:~# lilo.real -A /dev/hda 1
    pt[1] -> 80
    pt[2] -> 0
    The partition table has been updated.
    root@boxone:~#

In the first example I looked at hda2, second example hda1 which is where I am working from now. What is pt [1] and pt [2] and what the heck do the 0 and 80
    refer to?

LILO, the LInux LOader, sets up your system to boot Linux directly
    from your hard disk, without the need for a boot floppy.

You already have a LILO configuration in the file /etc/lilo.conf

If you want to use the new LILO boot menu, please take a look to
    /usr/share/doc/lilo/examples/conf.sample and choose one of the
    bitmaps located on /boot

Checking your /etc/lilo.conf for incompatible options...

Install a boot block using your current LILO configuration? [Yes]

I did NOT hit enter, should I?

I could tell you, if you were using GRUB :wink:

The 0 - 80 thing, I have no idea. I would say that they are blocks on your hard drive, but not the same numbers for both partitions.

Anyway... You're officially on shaky ground. Anytime you go messing around with your boot loader, things get risky in a big damn hurry. So what do you do? You prepare ahead of time! Make sure you have boot discs/disks for all the operating systems that you can't afford to loose. Make backups if you can (highly recommended). After doing that; if you mess something up in the boot loader config, you should be able to recover very easily, and get back to correcting whatever errors you made the first time.

Now when you get into your LILO configurator, you can proceed to the end with confidence... Else you'll never know the outcome if you get halfway through it without finishing .
    Steve

Fatal Error, last time I looked, you just need a root=/dev/hda2 line in your /etc/lilo.conf for that entry (by "that entry" I mean that kernel or that operating system.) Then, reboot and hit shift right when the LILO prompt comes up on screen after the BIOS is done and before Linux starts loading. Choose the appropriate entry from the list and hit enter. You should be good to go. After you verify that that works, go back into /etc/lilo.conf and comment out everything but the one entry for your normal kernel so you don't have to hit shift every time you boot.

Mentor
    ARRRRRRGH, but don't worry, I can always use the computers at the library.

Pah! You gots to WAIL on that sucker until it DOES YOUR BIDDING! :twisted:

Oh, after you make changes to /etc/lilo.conf, don't forget to type "lilo" and hit enter, too.

Grub is better, but I never did figure out how to get it to replace lilo on a lilo-using machine. It's just the default on my distro-of-choice.

Mentor
    Kung........9, Some how (by my own hand?) I seem to have LILO and Grub but how it happened I do not know.

Knoppix 3.6 (the newest) has LILO for sure.
    Knoppix 3.4 seems to have Grub

I haven't seen 3.4 for a week or so, I may mis-remember.

What do you know about this?

apt-get -t unstable install (name_of_program)

Muchas gracias todos por su ayuda :wink:

Mentor
    Not to wail, just annoy the hell outa it. Look at this page from a Knoppix forum, It happened to me just like this other shmuck!

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=11850&start=0