Thread: Couple of questions

Couple of questions

For over a decade I think. I've had the same monitor. So saturday I saw a good deal on a 19" flat screen crt monitor. So I got it. It's a phillips and I got it for $178. It was a store demo with no box or manuals.

So I got X configured correctly. But now I want to change cli to make the text smaller and fit in better with my monitor. How do I do that. BTW I use Debian.

Second question:
    I have a audio cd I want to copy. I've already ripped it and oggenc the rips. But I want to make an exact copy of the cd. How do I do that. I tried xcdroast but it tells me that it dosent support on the fly writting but it dosent give me any other options. SO how can I copy that cd. I know I have all the stuff to do it with out downloading anything else. When I copy data cds I usually do a
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sr0 of=foo.iso
    but it seems that I can't do that with my audio cd. Can someone just point me to the right direction?

Third question: You think I got a good deal on the monitor? BTW the right side of he screen when I have a black screen seems bit lighter than the left side. Is that a bad thing?

Re:Couple of questions

I'd consider it a good deal. 19" is pretty nice. I thought I could get by on a little 15" but I'm finding it kinda tough. I'm waiting 'till I'm wealthy and famous so I can score a 21" flatpanel. Then I'll light up a cigar with a $100 bill to celebrate.

As for the text in the CLI, the only way I know is to use the framebuffer. It's an option in the kernel configuration (near the end...I don't know where exactly cause I'm at work right now). I believe if you turn framebuffer on and in the submenu enable VESA, you'll be good to go. You can then start up lilo / grub with the VGA=SOME VALUE option (seems we both need to do some reading in this case ;D) and have the resolution increased / decreased.

Audio CD: <SHRUG>...I've been idly wondering the same thing in the back of my head for some time now but never got around to learning. I guess now's the time

well after messing around with different apps I finnally figure out how to use xcdroast and that seems like the best way to copy a cd.

the alert lights are going off... STORE DEMO... I hope you know what you are getting yourself into - I have personally worked in a store where I sold hifi, computers, phones etc. And I know how trashed store demo models usually are... honestly you would be lucky if it lasts you more than 2 years...

anyways, look into framebuffering in the kernel for your gfx card

Good Guru

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=6;threadid=6914;start=0#64399 date=1051552696]

So I got X configured correctly. But now I want to change cli to make the text smaller and fit in better with my monitor. How do I do that. BTW I use Debian.
    [/quote]

Just kick up the resoulutiuon to 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 (my fave) and set the appropriate dpi. Then it should like really sweet.

Second question:
    I have a audio cd I want to copy. I've already ripped it and oggenc the rips. But I want to make an exact copy of the cd. How do I do that. I tried xcdroast but it tells me that it dosent support on the fly writting but it dosent give me any other options. SO how can I copy that cd. I know I have all the stuff to do it with out downloading anything else. When I copy data cds I usually do a
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sr0 of=foo.iso
    but it seems that I can't do that with my audio cd. Can someone just point me to the right direction?
    Rip each audio track to wave format and burn them as audio tracks.

Third question: You think I got a good deal on the monitor? BTW the right side of he screen when I have a black screen seems bit lighter than the left side. Is that a bad thing?
    Possibly.

i'd say good deal on the monitor, flat screens are /nice/ i want one.

as for ripping the cd. for data cds i do readcd then option 11 then hit enter a few times. this will work even on scratched cds cause it retries. you could try doing this for an audio cd but i dunno if it'd work, because i don't think it rips the table of contents and you need that.