Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

FreeBSD 5 kicks ass
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD 5 kicks ass

FreeBSD 5 kicks ass

Oh my god.... FreeBSD kicks ass.. aside the fact that I haven't gotten my SoundBlaster Live to say anything yet - well this could very well be the coolest OS I've worked with in ages.

Re:FreeBSD 5 kicks ass

Thats suprising to me as in the past FreeBSD has been the bleeding edge/vanilla version of BSD. How diffrent is it from the 4.x series? I know there was supose to be a lot of lower level rewrites but anything noticble to an admin?

So how close is FreeBSD to Linux? And how close is it to Sun's Solaris in terms of commands and Admin stuff?

[quote author=Scott Tiger link=board=10;threadid=6906;start=0#64374 date=1051493153]
    So how close is FreeBSD to Linux? And how close is it to Sun's Solaris in terms of commands and Admin stuff?
    [/quote]

FreeBSD (BSD in general) seems close to Solaris. The both use similar pkg formats and utilities and have the true Unix feel. The main diffrence is that the BSD's are a bit better refined than Solaris, have great ports systems (ports/pkgsrc), but are lacking a java implementation outside of Linux emulation. Solaris does have a Java implementation but it is buggy compared to the Linux, Mac, and Windows versions.

I'm running current, and so far I'm somewhat pleased, but it seems to have some problems compiling the multimedia packages - xine and mplayer have failed so far with MMX errors - it seems their compiler might be setup wrong.

but it handles heavy loads exellent - I had it under 5-6 load last night and it was still very usable.

hrmmm, FreeBSD seems to dislike me..

There's a slight problem with all things multimedia, but that's no big problem - since the main point of this was to see if FreeBSD had better IO than Linux 2.5, and as much as I hate to admit it FreeBSD is probably a better server OS than Linux... I absolutely love the system, but I'm going back to Gentoo since my needs are more oriented towards multimedia, and that's really FBSDs weak point.. it's awefully hard to get any kind of multimedia going.

I've followed the guide to setting up my SB Live card, and I would like to say that it works, but I'm unable to compile any of the multimedia packages, so I really have no way of being absolutely sure.

As for software installation, FBSDs ports have an overall higher succes ratio than Gentoo on general packages (the complete lack of a succes story on a multimedia package disappoints me a bit - if it compiled it didn't run) - but ports seems disorganised incomperation to portage, it's much easier to find apps in portage IMHO (not a big problem however), and I must admit I like the Gentoo init system better...

-edit-

If all you do if burn CDs, you should run FBSD5 - I just burned a few CDs and it ran at my burners maximum for the entire session - while I was compiling something - no problems... That's just amazing IO.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=10;threadid=6906;start=0#64381 date=1051505109]
    Solaris does have a Java implementation but it is buggy compared to the Linux, Mac, and Windows versions.
    [/quote]

This is something that will always blow my mind.

I do think FreeBSD's multitasking is a bit better. For instance, if you're doing something in Linux which uses 100% cpu, like compiling, the menus will hesitate to open. In FreeBSD, they always appear instantly. (I'm making world right now and they appear faster than my eye can see.) Also, it's practically impossible to make MP3's and oggs skip. It's been so long since I've ran Linux on this computer (850 Mhz) and my laptop is much inferior, so I can't compare them accurately there. Still, MP3's only take up about 5% of my cpu on my laptop and it can be made to studder easily. And I've seen Windows systems with much better hardware studder.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=10;threadid=6906;start=0#64386 date=1051516620]
    hrmmm, FreeBSD seems to dislike me..

There's a slight problem with all things multimedia, but that's no big problem - since the main point of this was to see if FreeBSD had better IO than Linux 2.5, and as much as I hate to admit it FreeBSD is probably a better server OS than Linux... I absolutely love the system, but I'm going back to Gentoo since my needs are more oriented towards multimedia, and that's really FBSDs weak point.. it's awefully hard to get any kind of multimedia going.
    [/quote]

That is indeed a strange problem. Perhaps with more information, someone here could figure it out. Or perhaps it's just a bug in CURRENT. Ya know, STABLE isn't far behind CURRENT. I've compared it with Debian branches and I'd have to say major packages are on average about the same age as Debian testing. CURRENT would be between Debian testing and unstable. We all know Debian stable is way too old for anything but servers, but I highly recommend staying with STABLE in FreeBSD. Going to CURRENT is just asking for trouble unless you're an expert.

FreeBSD sounds really interesting and I've been reading up on it some at their site. Now here's the dumb question: Would it be possible to run a Neverwinter Nights, RTCW or a Quake server with BSD without some type of emulation? I know that to some of the L337 folk out there that might sound pretty ridicules but I'm into gaming with friends and wouldn't want to give that up that possibility. I'd still want to try it even if it doesn't (I'll just put it on a less powerful box) but I'd like to know if it would.

Thanks for all the informative answers so far..

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=10;threadid=6906;start=0#64356 date=1051473851]
    Oh my god.... FreeBSD kicks ass.. aside the fact that I haven't gotten my SoundBlaster Live to say anything yet - well this could very well be the coolest OS I've worked with in ages.
    [/quote]

Did you recompile the kernel? That is what I needed to do to enable sound. And your later mentioend MMX issue may be corrected that way as well. However, I dont recall if I needed to correct that as well.... It was longer than yesterday ago -- I forget...