Thread: xsane

xsane

Anyone use xsane for scanning images? Well, I have an HP DeskJet R40 that is a combo printer and scanner. I just set it up with CUPS, but when I run xsane, it doesn't detect the scanner. Does xsane primarily work with scanners and not the printer/scanner combos? And anyone recommend some other program that will recognize my scanner?

Re:xsane

hello,
    i use xsane and it works great - with my scanner...
    in your case look here. i do not see you model mentioned, but many HP products use the same protocol. good luck - and look here:
    http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/

Alright I ran:

Code:
    /usr/sbin/ptal-init start
    But xsane still didnt detect it. I'm also using CUPS. Reading that docs it seems it may have some issues with CUPS. Would you recommend I delete CUPS first and just use this>

Hey PBHarris,

Just wondering...Do you have a SCSI, USB or parallel port scanner? I don't think xsane can detect parallel port scanners (although I could be wrong). I ran the sane-find-scanner command and got:

# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
    # detected by this program.

If this is true, I need to find another scanning tool.

hello,
    i use USB - xsane does support paralell port though.
    be sure to do a modprobe scanner before you try - okay.

there are other options besides sane -
    the april edition of linux journal has several - these are:
    QuiteInsane
    Image Scan - probably works best with epson scanners
    vue scan - not sure about this one, it does not depend upon sane

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

When I started using Linux, my scanner was my only unsupported device (Canon 650U.) I had given up on it. Then I saw this thread and decided to take another look around, see if the Sane hackers had figured something out. It was supported!!!

Went to linuxpackages.net, got a few packages, a few man pages later and my scanner is now working!!

Trickster is happier.

for parallel port devices xsane/saned needs to be run as root according to the documentation. there is a way around this by setting up saned I will have to dig up the info but it is in the xsane web pages and links. Basically you have to edit services and xinetd/inetd files and add a host allow entry and saned net entry for local host. Then you will be able to use xsane under your normal user account and not root.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=6889;start=0#64280 date=1051307097]
    hello,
    i use USB - xsane does support paralell port though.
    be sure to do a modprobe scanner before you try - okay.

there are other options besides sane -
    the april edition of linux journal has several - these are:
    QuiteInsane
    Image Scan - probably works best with epson scanners
    vue scan - not sure about this one, it does not depend upon sane

[/quote]

I don't have a scanner module. Should recompile my kernel for that? Where in xconfig is that? I dont remember seeing an option for scanner.

hello,
    it is under USB support - even if you don't have a USB scanner try loading it - i know some things need this for some reason, like my old game pad - it may not help but it can't hurt