Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Router on Linux

Thread: Router on Linux

Router on Linux

I want to set up a Linux box that can be used as a router in the case our Cisco 7200 fails. I have the routing table and BGP config from the Cisco.
    A couple of questions though:
    1. What should I use for that - LRP? Any other alternatives?
    2. Will Linux function correctly in BGP Cisco environment?

Good Guru

Re:Router on Linux

What exactly will it be doing? I am sure that with the proper configuration Linux or OpenBSD (preferably OpenBSD) could fill that request.

We have a dedicated lines (WAN) that connect Toronto witht other 5 cities. We have a router (provided by Bell) that provided WAN connection. If this router fails then we screwed. I was thinking about having a linux router with the same config (protocols, ip, etc) as the Bell Cisco router, so in the case of the failure I can simply swap the boxes.
    Here is the way it works (although according to this I'm not clear as to should I configure only static routes on linux or static routes+BGP support)
    ------------------------------------
    a) Bell routers are configured with static entries for' locallly' connected
    networks; if 10.0.0.0/16 is Toronto LAN and 192.168.91.1 is the next hop in
    Toronto network, then the following will be on Toronto router:
    S 10.0.0.0/16 [1/0] via 192.168.91.1 (and similar entries on each
    respective router for local networks in other cities)

b) Bell routers are configured to use BGP to exchange information between
    each other regarding the networks connected to them directly, this is how the
    information is propagated.
    B 206.108.97.188 [20/0] via 192.168.102.11, 3d08h

So when we actually add new network and require BEll to adjust the change, we
    actually require the static routing addition ont he router that will have
    this network locally and the rest of the routers will get this information
    using BGP updates.

Any flavor of Linux will do. Just use gated for BGP. I used to have a couple of routers built from RH and they worked flawelessly for a few years. Just make sure that you do a very minimal install (install only what you need to get the router running and to administer it.) I've never looked into LRP, but you can get the same effects yourself with any distro if you just configure it right.

Thanks I'll dig some info for gated, hope the have a good docs for the beginners :-)

Good Guru

Personally, if you can do it under linux, try making it happen under OpenBSD. Much simpler install. Christ, the default (without the little BSD Game package) install is about 30 MB or so (no source code). Then as you need software you can just use ports to install it. The gateway at my old job didnt bloat to more than 300MB of used space -- ever. That is including some source code laying around still from ports.