Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Can't get into X
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get into X

Can't get into X

I was playing around with opening multiple sessions of X at the same time. I did
    Code:
    startx -- :1
    That didn't work, but that's for another day. It seemed to have messed up something in my user directory. Right now root can get into X. But when I startx now with a user, I get this error:
    Code:
    Xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/user/.Xauthority
    It says that a few times, then tries to load GNOME. After the NVIDIA splash screens, I get the error
    Code:
    could not open or create /home/user/.gconf-test-locking-file
    Ughhh what happened? Again, this only happened after playing around with opening multiple X sessions.

Good Guru

Re:Can't get into X

Hmmm I had that happen. IIRC just delete the .Xautority file and it works fine then.

I changed it to .Xauthority1 and it did the same before. Maybe I need to actually delete it. Anyway, can you have multiple X displays open on the same machine? Maybe you can't and that screwed something up.

damn! I deleted .Xauthority, but the same thing keeps happening.

try recopying the root .Xauthority file over yours, or better yet, create a new user, and then copy that Xauthority file over yours. I think i had this problem once and that was what I did to fix it. Dont bet the farm on it though. :-\

Good Guru

what does .xsession-errors say?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=1;threadid=6883;start=0#64193 date=1051159581]
    what does .xsession-errors say?
    [/quote]

I have no such file

[quote author=M0u|/|ta1|/|Ma|/| link=board=1;threadid=6883;start=0#64191 date=1051159384]
    try recopying the root .Xauthority file over yours, or better yet, create a new user, and then copy that Xauthority file over yours. I think i had this problem once and that was what I did to fix it. Dont bet the farm on it though. :-\
    [/quote]

Tried both - neither worked. Same errors.

Good Guru

Thats odd ... on RH and MDK, everytime X barfs, I get a file that has the error message. I know that whenever I couldnt log into X, I would read the file (I dont remember simple things for more than 2 seconds), I would then delete the offending file it whined about ...

Does .gconf-test-locking-file exist? If so, maybe rename it and see what happens.