Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Netware 7 On Linux

Thread: Netware 7 On Linux

Netware 7 On Linux

Link to article

Novell to offer Linux version
    Barbara Gengler
    APRIL 22, 2003

NOVELL is to integrate open-source components and industry standards in the next version of its NetWare.

Version 7.0 of NetWare is to be built to run on either NetWare or Linux kernels, Novell announced at BrainShare, its annual user conference.
    GroupWise, Novell's messaging and collaboration suite, will also be built to run on either NetWare or Linux kernels.

The company says it will create incentives to get open source developers to use Novell software.

For example, the company debuted a new website, Novell Forge, for the open source community, which offers developers the ability to download, modify, exchange and update open source code.

Novell chairman and CEO Jack Messman announced NetWare 6.5 at BrainShare and said it would include open-source technologies such as Apache, MySQL, Perl, PHP and Tomcat.

"This is not a departure from NetWare," Messman says.

"Novell will continue to enhance and support NetWare services.

"This is the future path for Novell customers, which is all about choice."

Novell released the public beta of NetWare 6.5 at BrainShare.

The upcoming version will integrate a Java 2 Enterprise Edition version 1.3 Java application server.

Open source is gaining momentum in the market and customers want to leverage it, says Chris Stone, vice chairman, office of the CEO at Novell.

"Novell believes strongly that the use of open source technology must be reciprocated by giving back to the community," he says.

"For years we've quietly contributed to a number of open source projects."

Novell is also making a big push into the small- and mid-size business as it attempts to sign on new customers and partners.

Novell says 400 new partners have agreed to sell its small business suite starter pack.

The offering includes NetWare 6, GroupWise 6, ZENworks for Desktops and BorderManager.

Novell says it will release the source code for Novell Nsure UDDI Server, which is used to verify the identity of people as they log onto a network to access applications.

Novell plans to offer an early version of its eDirectory that uses the Liberty Alliance specification for authenticating a person's identity.

EDirectory will allow a person to log once onto multiple websites that follow the alliance standard.

The company says it has combined its ZENworks management tools into a single suite.

ZENworks 6 includes automatic data back-up and synchronisation across multiple platforms.

coltrane's 2 cents:
    ZENworks is a BEAST by the way

edit:: Fixed URL link.
    Schotty

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re:Netware 7 On Linux

Knowing absolutely nothing about this subject, I voted for coltrane. At least I think I did...perhaps it's ZENworks that's a sexy beast?????

I hate Netware with the fury of 10 <insert name of very hatefully deity here>, thus I voted Worst thing..

But more Linux software is good, so I'm guess my personal hatred will have to stand aside for a moment, for the good of mankind.

Good Guru

[mike meyers voice]You sexy beast you !! [/end of mike meyers voice]

I really don't care. Linux doesn't need Netware but like Lovechild said, more Linux software can't hurt.

Looking for a job as network administrator I've realized that knowledge about WinNT, Cisco and Linux isn't good enough - you really need Novell.
    That's one reason for why it's good with Novell under Linux.
    Also I believe that's it's pretty good to have one OS for the network, integrating all users no matter what OS they're running - the little I've seen of Netware tells me it does this far better than *NIX. Remeber: use the right tool for the right job. For my desktop it's Linux, but for networking it's Netware.

Good Guru

[quote author=x link=board=13;threadid=6873;start=0#64341 date=1051462009]
    Looking for a job as network administrator I've realized that knowledge about WinNT, Cisco and Linux isn't good enough - you really need Novell.[/quote]
    I agree with you somewhat but not all. You don't really NEED Novell but some knowledge of it is very useful. There are many shops without Novell and there are many admins who knows next to nothing about Novell. BUT like I said, some hand on experience with Novell will make you looks more desirable when you are applying for jobs.

That's one reason for why it's good with Novell under Linux.
    Also I believe that's it's pretty good to have one OS for the network, integrating all users no matter what OS they're running - the little I've seen of Netware tells me it does this far better than *NIX.
    As much as Novell's claim of having the most mature OS as it's true, the difficulty of learning it and using it prevents Novell from taking larger market shares. You need dedicated manage box to even get a Novell box working ( unlike *nix and WinNT which you can do on the same box ) plus the cubersomeness of Novell makes most SMB ( small to Median Business ) market drop Novell all together.
    Novell is one hell of a stable OS though.
    For my desktop it's Linux, but for networking it's Netware.
    For me, I'm ALL for *nix.