Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no internet plz help

Re:no internet plz help

Hi ppl I have tried you suggestions and still nothing works. When I looked in "/etc/modules.conf" it said "nvnet" and I have on top of that it said nVidia nforce chipset ??? which i'm sure I don't have.

a.lost.soul

Open up YaST and go to the menu where you can configure the network card. If you have a DHCP server in your network then just chose that. If your DHCP server supplies the IPs for DNS and gateway then that's the only thing you have to enter. If it doesn't then enter this info manually and you should be set.

You probably don't have to worry about DNS. Most ISPs I've seen take care of that for you. You also probably don't have to worry about your network card. From what you've described, it's up and running just fine. So now it's a matter of determining how you connect to the internet. If what demian said works, then disregard this.

When you become root user with "su" and type "dhcpcd", what does the terminal say (what's the output)?

Ok demian I have tried your suggestion and it does not work
    Try_7BE when I typed in "dhcpcd" I got no output. if some one here doesn't mind walking me through everyting through IM or phone that would be good. my IM is:
    MSN spazattack101@hotmail.com

a.lost.soul

Hey okay I attempted to add you to MSN to try to help out but you were offline. You will see a btsadmin@cox.net authorize me and I will try to assist.

Rastar

Good Guru

[quote author=a.lost.soul link=board=1;threadid=6869;start=0#64094 date=1050987264]
    Hi I have tried both ifconfig and ifup eth0 with no luck but when I was looking at the "inet addr" I looked at mine at it was completely diffrent. it read "inet6 addr:fe80::220:edff:fe5c:2b3a/64" now I have no clue what this means ??? but it can't be a good thing.

a.lost.soul
    [/quote]

You appear to be using IPv6. Apparently your gateway doesnt support that, so reenter your networking wizard and change it to IPv4. I am sure that in the NEAR future linksys will support it. Alot of companies are migrating to IPv6 support. Alleviates alot of headaches in networking...

Hi Schotty I changed the stuff in "Host Names" that I found in YaST2 and replaced anything that said IPv6 to IPv4 and that didn't work. I also looked in my router settings but I found nothing unless I missed something ???

a.lost.soul

Good Guru

Okay here is the route I would like to take here. First give yourself an IP that is on the same subnet. For example, if the gateway is 192.168.0.1, then give yourself any 192.168.0.XXX number where XXX is less than 255 (255 is reserved for the broadcast address) and greater than 0. Plus it needs to be unused. So for conversation sake, if your LAN is setup as follows :

192.168.0.1 Gateway
    192.168.0.2 A PC
    192.168.0.3 Another PC

??? Your current PC that is giving you hell

I would give yourself a 192.168.0.4 or so. Then give it a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0

Alright, now reset the NIC so the address is applied. Open up a terminal and type 'ifconfig' to make sure that it applied. If not, do a 'ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0'. That will bring down then bring back online the NIC with the current settings you put into YaST.

Now here comes the fun part. According to whatever your REAL LAN topology is, ping a PC or your gateway. Lets make sure we can talk to it.
    A 'ping 192.168.0.1' would be the choice if your LAN is similar to my example.

If you talk -- Sweet Shit! If not, then we need to discover your gateway's IP and verify that we are doing the right one. If that holds as being accurate, then we need to check the cabling. Swap your CAT5 cable with another working one. Repeat the ping again. If that still fails, Try to verify that the NIC is still operable. Shit happens and they do die. Just like modems, a power surge can and does kill NICs. Easiest way, is if you dual boot, try making it work in windows. If the verification fails ... well, replace the NIC ;D IF it works, then we have driver issues.

Verify that a driver is attatched to the NIC's /dev/ entry. The easiest way is to dor a 'dmesg | less' (that is a pipe, not an 'I' or an 'L'). Scroll thru and see if your card is being seen by the kernel and if a driver is being attatched. UIf there is none -- thats why we are having hell with getting the card to grab a DHCP address. If it is ... well that means I need to investigate any known issues with the driver and your card. Or we have multiple NICs defined and are using the wrong one. But that is another story.

Ill wait for a response. Perhaps while you try out the previous suggestions, something more pertenent will arise that will yeild more info. And do double check the stupid shit. Like cables and stuff. When I adminned, alot of stupid shit pooped up like unplugged this and that, cut cables (yes, dont ask how -- I never got the truth), to just brain damage (read as needs beer and cigarettes) on my part. I am positive we will get this, just lets try one step at a time. Normally NICs are the simplest part ;D

Hey schotty I have tried your suggestions but nothing has worked. I know my nic works because windows and knoppix have no problems at all. I even tried one other nic and I even reinstalled once already. I the cable is fine because I just replaced it. It might be something else ??? I also tried all the other suggestions posted with no luck :-\

I just had this problem.
    Is your router equiped with a utility to do a DNS lookup or a ping? Can you get to the internet by using an IP in your browser? I resolved mine by putting a primary and secondary nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf This file tells Linux where to go fior the DNS servers. It wasn't able to use the ones from the router.