Thread: syslog server

Hybrid View

syslog server

I would like to have a syslog sevrer, to which syslog enabled devices will log information. I'm looking for something that can be installed on linux box, but has a GUI or web-based front-end to display information logged to syslog server (My boss would like to peek at the logs sometimes but he doesn't want to deal with CLI)

I know there is a kiwisyslog server but it looks like it works only on win platforms, the idea of opening syslog traffic from my 6 DMZ to inside my lan doesn't attract me much, putting W2K box on DMZ doesn't really looks good for me - hence I'm looking for linux solution.
    Please let me know if you're aware of anything of that kind.
    Thanks.

Re:syslog server

Way back Linuxsecurity had an article about logging to a mysql database and using php to have the logs web accessable. Let me dig it up....

here you go. Is that something for you?

Looks cool, I just wonder...can sendmail and postfix logfiles be sent to syslog sevrer?

I was hoping somebody else might jump on your follow up question... but that apparently didn't happen.

Actually I'm not sure if this can be done. There's no straight-forward method that I'm aware of. You might want to look into syslog-ng to accomplish that. There's a link to a loghost mini-howto on the syslog-ng site that might help. I don't know how well Msyslog plays with syslog-ng though...

Thanks, I'll try to figure it out

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=4;threadid=6853;start=0#64031 date=1050766121]
    Looks cool, I just wonder...can sendmail and postfix logfiles be sent to syslog sevrer?
    [/quote]

You can defiantely send sendmail logs to a syslog server. I used to do it. Just edit your syslog.conf accordingly.

Thanks