Thread: Grub Splashimage PET

Grub Splashimage PET

I wrote a PET on getting a Splashimage on GRUB. However, I submitted it as HTML and is all screwed up. How do I fix this??

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=98

Re:Grub Splashimage PET

hello,
    i know demian knwos how to turn them from html to yabb format. he is a cool person who i am sure will help.

This is as close as I can make it to the original html. There are some drawbacks: The list is bulleted and not numbered, there's no way to make named anchors with ubb code so the footnotes don't work (I put the links in the text) and YABB tried to be intelligent when it comes to anything around an @ character and interprets it as a mail address. So the @ had to be replaced with %40 where it appears in a URL.

This is what it would look like:
    [hr]
    Warning: I assume no responsibility for any effects this information might have on you or your system. Use at your own risk.

I use Slackware as my distro of choice. However, Slackware does not come with the option to use Grub as a boot loader; instead it uses Lilo (not that there is anything wrong with LILO.) LILO is good and reliable. It is also, on my opinion, quite ugly. So is GRUB. However, some time ago, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote a patch for GRUB that allows the use of a splashimage (see here) Some distributions have incorporated this patch into the version of GRUB they use. This patch won't ever be incorporated into the Main GRUB tree for a couple of reasons: it is only a 14-color-640*480 patch, the current code for GRUB has some experimental VESA code on it (see here), and the GRUB maintainer doesn't see a splashscreen as a priority at the moment (see here).

This tutorial uses [ftp=ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/]GRUB 0.92[/ftp] and the 0.92 patch submitted by Richard Downing. At the moment of writing this PET, the current version of GRUB is 0.93, and there appears to be a patch for this version here. However, I have not tried it.

• Download the source for GRUB 0.92 and decompress it. Download the patch ad put it inside the grub-0.92 directory. Decompress the patch. Apply it. patch -Np1 -i 01-grub-0.92-vga-nodeprecated.patch
    • Run the usual installation commands: ./configure, make and su -c "make install"
    • Create an image to use as a splashimage, or get one from here. The image should be 14 colors, 640*480 pixels. The file type should be .xpm, and you can gz'ip it. You can find more info on how to create this images here. Copy the image to /boot/grub/
    • Create a menu.lst file. You can find a good tutorial on GRUB here. Here is what my menu.lst file looks like:
      [pre]# root (hd0,2)
      # kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 noinitrd
      # boot=/dev/hda
      default=0
      timeout=10
      splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
      title Slackware 9
      root (hd0,2)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi vga=791
      title Rescue (Slackware 9 Stock)
      root (hd0,2)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-rescue ro root=/dev/hda3 hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi
      vga=791
      title Windows XP
      rootnoverify (hd0,0)
      chainloader +1[/pre]
      Make sure the splashimage section points to the correct image.
    • Install GRUB on the MBR. su -c grubroot (hd0,2) (substitute (hd0,2) for the hard drive and partition where your / is located.), setup (hd0)
    • Keep your rescue disk at hand, cross your fingers and reboot your machine.

Bibliography

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/...2/10/0039.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub.../msg06525.html

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/...2/09/0084.html

http://people.debian.org/~ingo/grub/

http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Special thanks to McGrof and Luis Rodriguez for all the Grub info, the LFS and Debian mailing list contributors and to PBHarris for his Grub Pet.

Send any comments to rudeboy__athotmail.com, and any flames to /dev/null.

Thnaks. That is quite good enough. However, how can it be changed in the PET's page?

If you go to the pets section there is a link there to edit your pets. Cut and paste this one into the actual pet.

Thanks. That worked. Does anyone knows the YABB equivalent for <a href> ?

[quote author=trickster link=board=23;threadid=6844;start=0#63997 date=1050698032]
    [/quote]

It's (url=address)name(/url). Replace the brackets ( and ) with square brackets [ and ]. Just copy and paste the yabb code from this link. That's what I used to produce the output in my first post.

I'm running Grub 0.93(with CVS patches I think) with the bootsplash patch btw, it's default in Gentoo unstable, it works just beautifully.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=23;threadid=6844;start=0#64029 date=1050762048]
    I'm running Grub 0.93(with CVS patches I think) with the bootsplash patch btw, it's default in Gentoo unstable, it works just beautifully.
    [/quote]
    Yeah. As I mentioned on the PET, some distributions bundle the patch already with Grub.

[quote author=demian link=board=23;threadid=6844;start=0#64027 date=1050756247]
    [quote author=trickster link=board=23;threadid=6844;start=0#63997 date=1050698032]
    [/quote]

It's (url=address)name(/url). Replace the brackets ( and ) with square brackets [ and ]. Just copy and paste the yabb code from this link. That's what I used to produce the output in my first post.
    [/quote]
    Thanks Demian