Thread: Drivers for Linksys usb100m ethernet adaptor

Drivers for Linksys usb100m ethernet adaptor

I'm a total newbie... I have a usb ethernet adaptor, Mandrake Linux 9 doesn't recognize it properly, I've done some research & I evidently need the RTL-8150 driver for it. I believe I found the driver on the web but it is a text file (file extension is .c) and I'm not at all sure what I'm supposed to do now. Does anyone have a step-by-step tutorial posted anywhere or can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help!

Re:Drivers for Linksys usb100m ethernet adaptor

hi jaymars - before i try muddling through this can you please let me know where you go the c file?
    welcome to ljr

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=6843;start=0#63961 date=1050625547]
    hi jaymars - before i try muddling through this can you please let me know where you go the c file?
    welcome to ljr
    [/quote]

Thanks for the welcome & the help... The URL where I got the c file is: http://pegasus2.sourceforge.net/rtl8150/v2.2/ . However, I found another site that appears to be saying to do something else, URL is http://www.spack.org/index.cgi/LinksysUSB100MLinux ...once again, I don't know what they're talking about! :-\ Thanks again!

ah - okay - that make it much easier.
    i am guessing that the driver is already installed because it comes with kernel 2.4.19 and that is what drake 9 ships with.
    okay - now this assumes that the only NIC is you system is this one.

login as user root
    using the editor of you choice open the file /etc/modules.conf. Add this line:
    alias eth0 rtl8150
    Next open a terminal - like konsole or xterm and type modprobe rtl8150 - then save and exit.

from here if you open drakeconf and hopefully it will be intuitve about settiing it up. there are command line options to set it up but these can get a bit long.