Thread: setting up tv card in mandrake 9.1

setting up tv card in mandrake 9.1

i just installed mandrake 9.1 as dual boot on my pc (with win98se)
    i have a second hand bt848 tvcard. under windows it has always worked correctly.

i have the booklet and driver cd from the card. but i cant find ANY reference on who made it. on the disc are only win98 drivers.
    all i can find on info is "Pctv witch video capture pci card and VDOPhone"

mandrake seems to have recognized the card correctly (bt848, philips PAl B/G
    (belgium cable). i found a program called xawtv that was installed.
    Now here's my actual problem. the 'channel chart' from belgium is not included , and i even tried searching 'all' frequencies, but i cant find any channels !

could someone help me out on this one?
    many thanks in advance.

Advisor

Re:setting up tv card in mandrake 9.1

Look at this thread.
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...d=4488;start=0

I think I mentioned the things needed in that thread.

Btw. the kernel oops still persist, yet I've now narrowed it down to the NVIDIA driver, but the quick fix mentioned will work.
    See the oops since every kernel version gives the same.

I printed the other thread and tried it, bit i don't have a .config file anywhere in my /usr . i only find a /rpms , /rmps, /build there, but they're all empty. (tried with ls -la)

the thing about the kernel recompiling and OOPS is way over my newbie head.
    I 've tried looking around some more and it seems mandrake has recognized it correctly, so that's not the problem.

I set it to pal, pal b/g and tried scanning west europe and all frequencies, but it doesnt find anything.
    what i dont get either is that choice of S E SE and so on when you press up and down in xawtv. what do i have to take for belgian cable?

isnt there a more simple program for this ? my (old) windows proggie only has the pal/ntsc/... options and scan cable / arial.
    always worked perfect.

with this i came to a little idea. the pc is dual boot win98se/mandrake 9.1 . Maybe i could use wine .
    or would this be risky for my windows .
    ive tried wine on older pc's w mandrake 8.1 and i seriously crashed windows with it a few times. (had to reinstall windows i mean)

any opinions on this?
    Thanks

Advisor

yeah, you're right.. Since you say you can get Xawtv running, the bttv module must be loadet, so the kernel should have proper support for it.

When using the up-down keys in xawtv you're finetuning the recieving channel, if the frequency is slightly off from the preset.

can't realy remember what I have my xawtv set to use.. pal/ntsc... I think it's ntsc here, but I'm not sure.. I think I just used the default settings.

If I remember correct, you just press <ctrl>+u to have it automaticaly scrol through all preset channels, that way you'll quickly notice if anything is beeing recieved, and the settings in your .xawtv file will be the one deciding which should be accessible with the press of either the preset activation key, or your <page up> <page down>/<mouse wheel up><mouse wheel down>/<space> to flip through them.

Hmm.. since you need the direct hardware access when using the windows proggy through wine, I think it will require a lot from wine, meaning it probably wont work that great.

hmmm so it does more or less the same functions as my windows proggie. im going to fiddle around with xawtv some more and see what comes up.