Thread: Gnome 2.2

Gnome 2.2

im new to gnome 2.x, but it seems pretty cool so far, though a lot more manual to customize it seemes than 1.x

Anyway I have 2 questions.

1. What window manager do you personally recommend (screenshots?) ?

2. Normally to created a panel you right click on one that is already there, but I have 1 panel on my screen that is X Small and transparent and it's impossible to get the panel menu because there is no vacant space! How do i edit this panel or add a new one?

Re:Gnome 2.2

I have historically preferred the look and feel of Gtk apps over Qt apps, but recently I was wowed by KDE 3.1 and I didn't care for Gnome 2.2. I decided to give Gnome 2.2 another chance though, and it slowly growing on me.

Here's a screenie:

Good Guru

[quote author=jbstew32 link=board=1;threadid=6807;start=0#63725 date=1050097193]
    im new to gnome 2.x, but it seems pretty cool so far, though a lot more manual to customize it seemes than 1.x

Anyway I have 2 questions.

1. What window manager do you personally recommend (screenshots?) ?
    [/quote]
    GNOME 2.2 with Metacity. Sawfish is nice, but ... Metacity just fits better at this time.

Sorry I am part of the bandwidth challenged and cannot provide a Screenie yet. Besides I havent even gotten to making a nice desktop yet. All of myu themes are sitting in a backup folder ;D

2. Normally to created a panel you right click on one that is already there, but I have 1 panel on my screen that is X Small and transparent and it's impossible to get the panel menu because there is no vacant space! How do i edit this panel or add a new one?
    Just right click on the panel itself and you will see a bunch of options, all of which you reqquire are there.

http://tyr_7be.tripod.com/

Congrats on coming over to our side. Gnome is getting sexier and sexier with each passing month.

Metacity is my WM. Doesn't do much, but manages windows quite well. I believe you can also get the *boxes working with gnome if you want something a little more feature-rich. For a few more screenies, check out the Desktop Screenshot thread in the X forum.

This is my GNOME 2.3.0 desktop (Development branch)

Running Metacity and Nautilus, and I'm loving the new "conf less GNOME" it's just so usable it's almost painful.

Hey Binary Boy,

What is that newsgrup?

Alt.Binaries.Pictures......

Um ... would you believe alt.binaries.pictures.church.socials? Nah, I didn't think so

Hey Tyr how did you get those MSN icons to be that size in Gaim? I've been through all the preferences I can find and I don't see anywhere to adjust that.