Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lovechilds greatest Linux love

Re:Lovechilds greatest Linux love

[quote author=rick420 link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63691 date=1050003568]
    Tell me why I would enjoy learning all the crap and waiting 11 hours to compile KDE, where with Mandrake I can type urpmi kde3.1 and download and install it in about 15 mins?
    [/quote]

I'm not saying you should enjoy it, but compiling from tarballs has advantages to, like getting only needed features, patching for features/fixes, etc.

Sure binaries are faster, that why portage supports them to, I have all my system stored on my server as binary packages so I can install stuff faster... there's no reason to be dumb and compile kdelibs again unless there's been a major upgrade.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63709 date=1050042088]
    ... there's no reason to be dumb and compile kdelibs again unless there's been a major upgrade.
    [/quote]

or kdebindings for that matter..when i fixed 3.1 in Arch Linux it took just over three hours to compile. to me this seems ridiculous that 6.5+/- MB source would take so long to compile. on my computer OpenOffice technicall compile faster at just about 7 hours and its sources is huge. Or even mozilla which is double the size of kdebinding takes under an hour to compile.

no wonder i dislike kde with a passion :P (what you thought i wasn't going to be a curmudgeon?)

Ya know there's always the stage 2 install that lays out a very stable base for you. Worked for me. Gentoo hums and NEVER shows any quirks.

Advisor

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63738 date=1050170816]
    Ya know there's always the stage 2 install that lays out a very stable base for you. Worked for me. Gentoo hums and NEVER shows any quirks.
    [/quote]

quite right...
    [me=PK]is on a stage3 install base with absolutely no probs.[/me]

[/quote]

sure sure but a base does not take long to compile with the exception of glibc, gcc, and the kernel. if your a kde fan there is still a long route to having a working kde desktop. even from stage two or three.

and regardless the fact remains that binary only distros can be every bit as fast as a source based distro. with alot less hassle. when i moved to arch linux from libranet/debian/gentoo speed was noticably faster and, unlike my experience with gentoo, it was a whole lot more stable. some people would say that stability and speed were probably a result of my flags but i had basic flags for my processor (ie flags that had optimizations that were usable for all packages such -O2 instead of -O3 etc) and even then packages were very unstable or unusable.

as mentioned before their tree management was far poorer than i would expected (ie masking). the whole thing just got annoying cuz i just wanted to use the distro not spend all my time fixing one problem only to presented with another.

hell i got so annoyed with gentoo i went back to libranet whose performance was no where near as an optimized gentoo but i needed something that worked.

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63761 date=1050234092]
    [/quote]

sure sure but a base does not take long to compile with the exception of glibc, gcc, and the kernel. if your a kde fan there is still a long route to having a working kde desktop. even from stage two or three.

and regardless the fact remains that binary only distros can be every bit as fast as a source based distro. with alot less hassle. when i moved to arch linux from libranet/debian/gentoo speed was noticably faster and, unlike my experience with gentoo, it was a whole lot more stable. some people would say that stability and speed were probably a result of my flags but i had basic flags for my processor (ie flags that had optimizations that were usable for all packages such -O2 instead of -O3 etc) and even then packages were very unstable or unusable.

as mentioned before their tree management was far poorer than i would expected (ie masking). the whole thing just got annoying cuz i just wanted to use the distro not spend all my time fixing one problem only to presented with another.

hell i got so annoyed with gentoo i went back to libranet whose performance was no where near as an optimized gentoo but i needed something that worked.
    [/quote]You summed up Linux maturity in the last phrase of your post; "I needed something that Worked". That's the key; playing around with an O.S. that requires sacrificing a goat to get a document printed might be somebodys idea of fun, but it's worn pretty thin for me; I'm in the throes of a major hardware upgrade (forced by a major hardware failure), I don't want to have to fart around with every little niggling little detail to get stuff up and running (and USABLE!!) I'll still play around with the odd distro, but I want to accomplish something other than configuring a bit of hardware or some (basic) application when I sit down in front of my box. From now on, there will be one stable, reliable and FUNCTIONAL distro on MY box at all times; cutting-edge is fun; it's just not practical.

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63761 date=1050234092]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

It varies from user to user as always. I gathered you'd done a stage 1 install from what you wrote, I was just implying that perhaps what LC says is true and it was something specific to the compile. I've had two gentoo systems. One flaked out on me because the power went out and XFS got seriously fucked up (but worked fine for 6 months prior), and the other I'm going strong with right now. Both of these have been stage 2 installs and it's behaved beautifully. But no matter. You've found something that works for you. It would appear that with the re-implementation of Gnome2, I'm very nearly at the point of seamless functionality. There is no longer anything that seriously annoys me about the symantics of the Gnome2 desktop, everything I'm using appears quite stable, and it's set up exactly to my tastes. If OO.o could use freetype, I'd be styling.

OOo can use freetype.... wanna know how?

Okay, either compile it from scratch (boring) or

http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dchest/xfth...0020920.tar.gz

do like the readme file in this package says, you don't need to use the file in there, in fact I won't recommend it as the native none bytehinter is prettier.

I'm thinking of switching from Gentoo to Lunar or Sorcerer. I've had another incident with glibc which hosed my system.

> glibc >

Advisor

[quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#64330 date=1051429836]
    I'm thinking of switching from Gentoo to Lunar or Sorcerer. I've had another incident with glibc which hosed my system.

> glibc >
    [/quote]

I had a glibc prob once, but there's actually a way to pull the build of glibc from a stagex tarball and then emerge it to your system, rendering it working again, if only i remembered how.....Try the irc channel on freenode.net or oftc.net that's where I got the info on how.