Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Lovechilds greatest Linux love
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lovechilds greatest Linux love

Lovechilds greatest Linux love

Gentoo is back in style...

I just missed it to damn much, it's like crack cocaine for me...

RedHat 9 is awesome, but Gentoo just rubs me the right way, it's like sex in software form.

Re:Lovechilds greatest Linux love

Now I want Gentoo..

Think I should go for it?

Advisor

[quote author=C++freak link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63650 date=1049921489]
    Now I want Gentoo..

Think I should go for it?
    [/quote]

If you don't mind spending a decent ammount of time to install, and you like to play (even just a little bit) then yes! definitely! ;D

Welcome back Lovechild

I want to give it a try but I have too many segfaults. My cpu dosent like compiling stuff for a long time

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63670 date=1049945254]
    I want to give it a try but I have too many segfaults. My cpu dosent like compiling stuff for a long time

[/quote]

You are probably overheating... stop overclocking, or provide better cooling.

bah genpoo is evil :P

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63675 date=1049952007]
    [quote author=gmoreno link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63670 date=1049945254]

[/quote]

You are probably overheating... stop overclocking, or provide better cooling.
    [/quote]
    I'm not overclocking

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=6798;start=0#63676 date=1049956064]
    bah genpoo is evil :P
    [/quote]

I have yet to make Arch crap install Sarah, it's Gentoo or a major distro like Mandrake/RedHat for me... and Gentoo does the job for me, and it does it well.

RANT

Sure compiling OOo from scratch is execessive, it takes a good 18 hours after all.... Doesn't mean I don't do it... just for the kick of it.

Sure compiling with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -malign-double -mother-dangerous-setting WILL break your system, what do you expect?? -- I mean... I've had it wil idiots who scream... -O9 rocks my world... there is no such setting and that statement just shows what a complete idiot you are. If you are going to compile anything with optimizations, PLEASE do yourself the favor of reading the manual, and maybe even looking up what the ASM output looks like. Hell we have good FAQs in the forums for sensible CFLAGS...... most important.. DO NOT trust the person who say.. <insanely long cflags setting> has yet to give me problems... HE IS PROBABLY LYING... and should accordingly be flamed to a crisp.

Optimizing GCC, GLIBC, BINUTILS.... if you compile these packages if crazy optiz... and you wonder why your system is unstable?? THEY ARE THE BASE OF YOUR SYSTEM... no matter what you do, DO NOT overly optimize these packages, and if you do... DO NOT come running to complain... I WARNED YOU !!!

Do not complain about the time it takes to compile stuff... get a faster CPU, or shut up... It's source based, it takes full advantage of your CPU and the Open Source access to code approach.

Whiny bastards who complain about the speed of Gentoo... What did you expect... you probably over optimized your CFLAGS.. and guess what... you are getting cache misses, and/or bloated code which loads SLOWLY... guess what dumb ass, you as a user will FEEL smaller code as being faster as it loads quickly, it's generally not execution speed that's important for a desktop user. Again it would help if you took your pure C "hello world" coding ass and at least read a little about compiler design and CPU design before praising <insane cflags here>...

STOP rerequestung features that cannot be done nicely, like a progress bar for emerge... there's no sane way to get a precise estimate of the remaining compile time... do the math, use your brain... Compile time is depended on various factors. Use the forum search for crying out load, we have been over this time and time again.

STOP PMING ME FOR TECH SUPPORT

/RANT

AAAAAAHHHHH, that felt so good.... feel free to ignore... I just needed to scream a bit.

Tell me why I would enjoy learning all the crap and waiting 11 hours to compile KDE, where with Mandrake I can type urpmi kde3.1 and download and install it in about 15 mins?

LC actually when i installed gentoo i had very basic compile options and not any, iirc, that would have caused the system wide instability i had. for me it was a matter of getting pissed off will things not working when they should have been. As well I had issues with the way they managed their "package" tree(s) for example they have certain packages listed but masked. masked means unstable therefore why offer it in the first place? just having a package listed for the sake of saying you have it is just plain stupid.

since i currently do a fair amount of work as root/superuser (i have no option) if i make some stupid mistakes like i did in december) and fork my root partition up then in gentoo it would take a long time to restore the partition where as with arch i can be up and running in under and hour or two.

with regards to arch i and many other people find it quicker than gentoo, so saying (i know you don't do this) compiling for you own processor is NOT the only way to get speed. and after running with athlon xp optimizations and basic i686 i can tell you any advantages are so minute that i don't even notice.

as for OOo built it and honestly cannot say that it is better in anyway than the binary except i was able to patch in the libstdc++.5 stuff. but in the end in order to get the damn thing to compile you give up alot of features too. while in gentoo it appears that you have it universally installed you don't so no advantage there. and the office network gentoo user would be forked because i don't know if the network install would be doable or not they way their build is.

just some observations. i am glad you like gentoo but please do not do what so many just linux folks do and make it seem like it is the only option to every other distro. that just isn't true especially if you don't know the other distros (from my understanding sorcerer is much more highly regarded in the circles i hang in than gentoo. age seems to play a factor too veterans hate gentoo (not saying i am one) and like something else (slack, arch, sorcerer)). frankly that is one of the reasons i do not hang out at just linux very much.