Thread: RHN

RHN

I know that in earlier versions of Red Hat (7.x and posibly 8.0) you got a free personal version of red hat network using their public servers (IE: SLOW) but for a home user it was good enough. Here is my question ... did they compleatly take that away? I got an email saying that I can take a survey to extend my 'Demo RHN Account for 30 days" as long as I finish it. If they do make people pay for updates I'd be pretty upset! I'd rather get a free updates when I purchase a product rather than get it for free and have to pay per year to keep script kiddies out :

Re:RHN

I've gotten spammed for free for ages now, the updates are free rhn just provides you with faster pipes and instant ISOs. at the basis level.

rhn is great btw.

i dunno, i pay for rhn, i thought it was such that if yopu filled out the survey you were able to keep usiing rhn

yeah rhn is still free. You will just have to fill out a survey every couple of months to continue to use it.

I filled out the last survey and it took almost no time at all so I don't think it is that big of a problem, and hopefully it will improve their services offered if they get some valuable feedback.

I think redhat is trying to clean up thier RHN system and the survey is a way for them to indentify who is still using thier now called "Demo" accounts. Inactive accounts will be deleted. I've been a RHN subscriber pretty much since it's inception and the reliablity of the demo service has gone downhill IMO.

Well then thats ok :P

Good Guru

[quote author=Stix link=board=13;threadid=6793;start=0#63636 date=1049904490]
    I think redhat is trying to clean up thier RHN system and the survey is a way for them to indentify who is still using thier now called "Demo" accounts. Inactive accounts will be deleted. I've been a RHN subscriber pretty much since it's inception and the reliablity of the demo service has gone downhill IMO.
    [/quote]

That is correct. They need to purge, and this is their way of finding out who still uses it. You get an email a week before you will be purged.