Thread: howto: share one dialup isp connection

howto: share one dialup isp connection

My dialup isp just precluded the similtaneous connection from our two 'pooters.

One is running only RH 8.0 (mine), and going to RH 9 as soon as I get the CDs. The other is running only winbloat98 (wifes) it's doubtful I can get wife to use Linux, as her bizness uses software that will never be ported, and I'll NEVER go back to M$ products. I gave up dual booting 6+ months ago and formatted M$ off my planet.

Both have modems, both were using the same user name/pw, and on seperate phone lines. The two machines are not connected in any way, but if necessary that could be possible, and perhaps even desired, if I knew where to start.

Broadband / Cable / xDSL won't be an option in our lifetimes not due to distance from CO, but because we are in the deep in the trees and lucky to even get cable TV, but no cable internet is available. Doubtful there is enough population / users for any broadband carrier to even care, either.

I do have a couple spare boxen I could create firewall / gateway or whatever would make the similtaneous sharing possible. I'd also be able to buy nics, hubs, switches, routers or whatever if I knew what to buy and how to use them.

Can anyone guide me to this solution, short of paying isp for two services?

TIA,

Ken

Re:howto: share one dialup isp connection

Such a large question isn't going to get a step by step answer, however I think covering the general way to do it is easy to do. And if you have any q uestions about any specific portions, that can be answered pretty quick. The short answer is, you would share it the same way you share any other connection (whether it be cable or dsl.) You're going to have to network your computers, but you knew that.

Get one nic for each computer, a hub, and two cat5 patch cables. (You could also forget the hub and go with one crossover cable instead, but if you ever wanted to add more computers you'd end up buying a hub anyway, plus if you decide to use a seperate box for routing (good idea) you'd need a hub.) Give the computers static IP's on the network (like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2) and you'll have a network.

Now, with the two computer model your computer dials, and you run maquerading (I wouldn't be surprised if RH8 had some sort of wizard to set that up for you, and there are many firewall scripts you can find that will work with very little tweaks.) Your wife's system you'll put yours in as the gateway, and the connection will be shared.

An alternative method which I like better is to have a dedicated routing box. Any old thing, a 486 dx2 66 is routing a dsl connection for my mom. You can either put a hard drive in it and setup a linux install to do the routing, or use one of the floppy routing distributions. Freesco would work simple, and freesco is quite easy to configure. With using a seperate box for the routing, it would have an IP on your network (you need a hub for this, the crossover cable's only good when using two computers.) and both your and your wife's comptuers would set your default gateway to that.

Well, that should get you started anyway, best of luck mon ami!

Edit: Oh yeah, also some of the linksys style products are capable of sharing a modem as well. You won't have as much flexibility as a linux machine doing the routing, but it would be the easiest way to go.

Wow, ! Thanks!

Between these two helps I have a bunch of fodder to ponder and implement. Collecting pieces of old hardware to get going, as I type this.

I've read in other threads the holy war as to mfg of hubs. Money is somewhat important, but reliability and ease of setup and use will rule;

WHAT hub should I buy?

I have one spare 3Com 3C925TX; must I get another exact or two different models that match? and what should they be?

The help from the kind folks on this forum never ceases to amaze me, and has gone a long ways in my growth with Linux.

Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken

Any hub should work. The network cards don't need to be the same either (as long as they are supprted by linux. Most are)

Their are standards, so you can mix and match any 10/100 Mbps hubs, cards, and so on. Obviously if you buy one 100Mbps card and one 10Mbps card, the 100 will function like a 10 (the 10 can't talk any faster than 10, so the 100 won't send any faster.) Same with the hub. Generally, the lowest speed component is what you run at. You can't however mix say, a coax ethernet card and a 10mbps ethernet card (coax is all but extinct, but it worked for the example.)

hey ken,
    i used to do exactly what you are talking about in case you were wondering.