Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

hd monitor in kde?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hd monitor in kde?

hd monitor in kde?

I just reinstalled mandrake 8.1 with kde on my pc. i also put in extra hardware,like a second hd. At installation, i let mandrake decide for itself how to partition (i did choose to install on the first hd.)
    now how can i get to my second hd? is it also part of my home folder?
    In my previous installation i had a program called kdiskfree to check on ide devices. it did not install this time and i cant really find it in software manager. can anyone help me out here?
    ps. i tried a shortcut on desktop to /hdc, but it notes that it is swap?
    is there a program in drake 8.1 to repartition (something like partition magic? ) .

the pc's specs are
    cyrix 266, 194 mb edo, maxtor 2 gb, hp 1.5 gb, 8xcdrom, voodoo3 3000,

Re:hd monitor in kde?

I just found the program, its in kdeutils.
    the second hd seems to be a swap drive, why would mandrake install have done it like this (i also have a normal swap space on my primary drive)
    Could i simply reformat the second hd to fat32 with a win98 bootdisk and work with it in this way? i only want to use it for data.

Advisor

You should be safe formatting your second hard drive as long as drake isn't using your second as swap. Edit /etc/fstab and see if there's anything in there mentioning that /dev/hdb is swap, if it says that modify it so that it points to your swap on hda, or delete it if hda swap is also already mentioned.

To partition, the easiest way would be to use cfdisk (from command line), my reccommendation is to use a filesystem other than fat32, unless you need it to be windows accessible. If you were to use ext3, you would run:
    Code:
    cfdisk /dev/hdb
    and set it all up with the filesystem type of "linux" then run
    Code:
    mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1
    WARNING: this WILL erase all data on your second hard drive, make sure you want to do this!

Then if you put /dev/hdb1 in your /etc/fstab somewhere, mounting it wherever you see fit it will just look like a regular directory in the filesystem.

Good luck, and welcome to LJR

whoa that 's quite some work for a beginner like me. ill carefully start searching on what i can find.
    im a total noob when it comes to linux filesystems.
    Im quite sure my swap isnt being used. when i check processes under kde, only my ram is being used. i have never seen the
    swap 'bar' being used.
    the pc will be on a home lan with win98/2000 and mandrake 9.1 machines. would it be interesting to make it fat32 then?
    i was planning to to the home network with samba (still learning on how to do that)
    Maybe i have another possibility. i have partition magic 8 installed on a win98 pc. maybe hook up the drive to that one and partition the hd with part magic 8. any comments ?

First
    Just run df -h and post the output here. That will show your HDDs

Advisor

If that specific machine won't be running windows there's no point in using fat32, samba can use linux filesystems and mount them for windows machines. As for partitioning, you shouldn't have to move the HD to partition with Partition Magic, use the utility that comes with PM to make boot disks, you can then boot from those and do all the partitioning you wish. I personally have had trouble getting PM to work nicely with ext3, although ext2 seems to work OK. In theory ext3 is supported in 8, but I haven't gotten it to do anything. (maybe it's limited to primary partition support?)

Also, for a little more insight, at the command line type
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    and show us the output.

im going to do what you guys told me and see if i can get it done.
    ill post the result tonight.
    I have everything backed up so if i really mess it up, it only costs me the time of a new install.

Advisor

[quote author=grasshopper link=board=6;threadid=6779;start=0#63577 date=1049815131]
    im going to do what you guys told me and see if i can get it done.
    ill post the result tonight.
    I have everything backed up so if i really mess it up, it only costs me the time of a new install.
    [/quote]

good thinking, that's a great way to learn, having an install that won't matter if you totally destroy is a great learning experience!

[me=PK]can't even remember how many times his hard drive has been formatted in the last 6 months...[/me]

it took me quite some messing around, but i got the second hd to work. The only thing is i mounted it to /usr/data, while it should have been in home,( but hey, i canjust link to it)

after i did diskdrake i noticed the second hd being split up in a small swap and the rest unpartitioned space. so that was the problem,
    i messed about a bit with diskdrake, and got it to work. the entire drive is now linux native mounted under user /data

thanks for all the help

Advisor

Should be super easy to change it to mount at /home instead of /usr/data, just edit /etc/fstab and change where it says "/usr/data" to "/home" (or anything else if you want it mounted somewhere else). Just double check that the folder where it's going to be mounted exists.