Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get RH 8.0

Where to get RH 8.0

I've just come in to possesion of a couple of old surplus laptops from work. I'd like to put linux on it. At home, and at one of my consulting jobs, I run RH 6.2. I realize that's a bit old, and I'd like to try some of the new features. But where can I get it?

I saw that RedHat now charges for it on their web site. I went to CheapBytes and they had it for sale at the regular price; and they had something called PinkHat.

Did I miss something?

Thanks.

Re:Where to get RH 8.0

www.linux.iso is a good one. you can do a google search for it and maybe find a hidden server that you can get a decent bandwidth from.

don't you want RH9 ?

Good Guru

[quote author=gjansky link=board=7;threadid=7034;start=0#65259 date=1053014822]
    Did I miss something?
    [/quote]

Red Hat's ftp is still free to grab isos and rpms/srpms. Just grab an iso from their (or a mirror's) ftp. And to second Lovechild's opinions, go for 9. Much cleaner.

If I was to drop Gentoo for something else it would probably be RedHat 9 since it's so rocking... RedHat really fuels some important developments and this release just sums it up nicely... rocking.

Or post in the flea market. Someone might be willing to burn you a copy for shipping price.

You can get it from one of the mirrors listed here:

http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

I really like the GaTech mirror. It's really quick for me.

Enjoy

[quote author=Scott Tiger link=board=7;threadid=7034;start=0#65268 date=1053020854]
    You can get it from one of the mirrors listed here:

http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

[/quote]

Thanks for the link.
    I notice all of the files end with .iso

I can download them, and put them on my hard drive before I burn them to cdrom. Do I need to do anything with them before I use them to install?

Ie, if I have a fresh hard drive, can I just pop in the cdrom with the disk 1 iso and will it run? I've never pulled the distros off the net before so I'm not too familiar with the process.

I'm looking forward to this....as the links showed RH 9.0 for download!

Thanks.

Good Guru

I can t say for sure how to burn with Windows (like Nero, CDRWIN, Roxio), but if you run linux already, XCDRoast will ask you to setup the program as to where to look for images and where to save images. Just put the iso there and the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Now, I hope somebody backs me up or corrects my mistakes. This is 3 or 4 year old info, so ... Nero uses .bin files IIRC, so rename the iso to a bin file instead and it will work. Whatever Nero uses for cd images can be done like this.

Essentially all an iso is an exact blueprint of how to build a CDR. Where and what files to write, how big, whether its iso9660/Joliet/Romeo and has rockridge support ... blah blah blah. So its not some file that you burn so when you look at the cdr, it has one .iso file. Its like a config file + data. I hope that makes sense. But IIRC Nero and CDRWin can be done really easily like that. No real need for a cue file, since its an iso.

The gatech server is pretty quick!

Under "File Type," the ftp server has the .iso file listed as "Easy CD Creator Image File." So, after I'm finished downloading them to my hard drive, does this mean I just need to change the name of them before I burn it to cdrom? I'm downloading them to a windows machine, and coincidently, I have Easy CD Creator on this machine.