Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Too Much Free Software

Thread: Too Much Free Software

Too Much Free Software

He makes a couple of good points....when first started using Linux (by way of Mandrake), I was thrilled with the concept of having "over 1000 applications" for 40 bucks. But after installing the lot of them, I hated most of them. Balsa and I had this love and hate thing going on for the longest time. But thats enough of my Sunday morning ranting, heres the article.

Linkage : http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/774/

Re:Too Much Free Software

posted by M104 over at the gentoo forums in response to same article

I think there are way too many kinds of art! I was at an art museum the other day and was shocked at how much art I don't understand and would never put in my house. The majority of art museum goers like traditional paintings and sculptures. How are new art lovers to decide between the 385 types of paintings? We need to unite on this soon, or else making art will be illegal. Craig Mundy said, "Alternative types of art lead to artistic forking, incoherence between art, and the inability of businesses to plan around future art." Wood carvings, charcoal paintings, hanging art, and abstract art should die! Art developers of the world: Please stop wasting your time working on useless art! If you don't like what's available in mainstream art, fix it! Also, stop making brand new works of art when you could just improve on the current pieces...

</satire>

Well, there's too much non-free software as well, following this kind of logic.

I like the fact that when I buy a Linux Distro, odds are that all the software that I want will be available on the disks and easy to install and configue. I have spent a lot of time playing with various programs and figuring out what stuff I like, what works well for me, and what I need to get the tasks done that I need to do.

Generally speaking, one can always do a little research on SourceForge and just plain trial-and-error, to figure out what they like.

And besides, its not like it costs anything to experiment.

I dont mind having options
    I just want GOOD options

The thing is not all options will always be good. For instance a bad choice of walking to work for me might be a good choice for you depending on circumstances.