Thread: Migrating to Linux Not Easy for Windows Users

Migrating to Linux Not Easy for Windows Users

I assumed I could boot the well-known Linux distributions from a CD-ROM drive, make some on-screen selections, let the distribution know what hardware to use, twiddle my thumbs for a while as it loaded software and configured itself, and then have a working system. Was I ever wrong.
    A step by step talk about why it's not an easy transition. Supprisingly enough, it's very fair citing that Windows XP is not a viable upgrade either. A few areas seem a bit dated but all in all a great read!

Read it here.

Re:Migrating to Linux Not Easy for Windows Users

It's little bugs like that in the installers that probably turn off the most newbies. If they're given a working system where they can connect, print, and listen to music, they'll explore the rest themselves. But if they can't hear anything from their speakers and have no idea what to do about it, it won't be long before they say "screw this." Granted, I've never had a flawless Windows installation either, but a really dumb chimp could figure out how to install print drivers in Windows so it's never such a big issue.

One thing that the author never did was check online documentation and forum searching. A Google would probably solve a lot of his problems. If he's willing to use the help that comes with the distributions and search man pages, he should also be willing to search for information outside of the manuals. A little more reading could have prevented a lot of errors and misconceptions he had.

I think that "drive" comes into it rather than a "me too" factor - if you are sufficiently moved to make a change then you will find that something other than windows works - you could even go and spend some money on a mac

yes the author was "fair" in noting that XP didn't meet the criteria - not fair in not documenting an install - perhaps it's easier to critique stuff that you get for free, after all once you splash the cash you have 2 options

1) complain bitterly

2) reassure yourself of what a good decision you just made

the 2nd option being a more standard human consumer thing

the nice thing about linux is that the ability to read the EULA is not dependent on your purchase of the os (on several levels)

the other thing is that you don't have to be a vegetarian, pinko, marxist, peacenik to install linux (though I've heard that it helps when configuring X)

actually I wouldn't be overly dumbfounded if I were to hear that the linux community ranks a higher proportion of b'band subscribers than the average OS - know what I mean Yogi?

but at the end of the day it's about choice and I choose not to put myself through the ritual flagellation of posting a pseudo-ms-apologist-on-a-salem-witch-hunt-for any-and -all-problems-I-can-find-with-linux type article up on the web for public ridicule

the company I work for on the other hand has no choice in its upgrade to win XP thanks to the gracious (well anything else would be slanderous) marketing strategy of a certain redmond-based organization

now I think about it, I don't really think the article was that well-balanced at all...

Hey at least Mandrake 9 worked for him, but hes obviously either trying to make it tough, or hes a real moron.... I mean these installers (at least in all the Mandrakes he chose) are honestly more straight forward and understandable than Windows 2000 or XP installer is. For him to not be able to burn cds and all that stuff, hes an idiot and hes using crap programs. If he used K3B I bet he burns with no issues..... If he runs kmix, his sound would work....

See I think he was getting tired of using all that old linux distros that totally werent working, and when he got to the newer distros, drake 9 and rh8 , he wasnt being fair anymore....

The people who couldn't install a linux distribution for those reasons are the same ones that couldn't install windows for the same reasons. Give someone an off the shelf computer as of today with fairly recent video cards, network cards, and so on. Give them windows XP, knowing full well they're going to have to download drivers from another computer and move them to the XP machine. They're gonna whine too! Unfortuneatly there, the blame seems to go somewhere other than MS, because MS is just the way it is!