Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

corel, not so much, but red hat 6 - success at last

Thread: corel, not so much, but red hat 6 - success at last

corel, not so much, but red hat 6 - success at last

Well- at last. I have a "real" linux box - not just the lindows box in the children's room.

After much futzing, the toy computer has red hat 6 successfully installed. Ok, somewhat successfully. I have to do some adjusting and get used to this.

First question, I logged in as root like the book says to do, but get a warning that this is dangerous. Then it goes to a "gnome" screen.

How do I log in as another user since when I logout and try entering with a new username, it just blinks and says NO WAY!
    sincerely,
    julie Ashley
    mother of ten
    "I can't think about this now. I'll go crazy if I do. I'll think about it tomorrow."

Good Guru

Re:corel, not so much, but red hat 6 - success at last

well create a new account and then you can use that one. As for how -- there are probably 2 ways. Thru gnome, or at the command line.

Either way, you need to do this while logged in as root.

In the command prompt box, you can do this (I think, this is on a Mandrake 9 install, so ..... with age creates change in minor ways). here is a snippet of what the command parameters are :

Code:
    [root@wildturkey schotty]# useradd
    usage: useradd[-u uid [-o]] [-g group] [-G group,...] 
    [-d home] [-s shell] [-c comment] [-m [-k template]]
    [-f inactive] [-e expire ] [-p passwd] [-M] [-n] [-r] name
           useradd-D [-g group] [-b base] [-s shell]
    [-f inactive] [-e expire ]
    [root@wildturkey schotty]#
    So to create a user beer, with password sixpack, and group schotty (since I have that one created already) the command would be :

useradd -g schotty beer
    passwd beer
    (type in sixpack)
    (confirm passwd)

I am not sure exactly how to do it via the CLI all in one fell swoop. The password parameter didnt work, but I am sure someone can correct my error(s).

Other than that it works. I just tested it again for ya, and all went well.

[quote author=julieashley link=board=2;threadid=6758;start=0#63378 date=1049512266]

Well- at last. I have a "real" linux box - not just the lindows box in the children's room.

After much futzing, the toy computer has red hat 6 successfully installed. Ok, somewhat successfully. I have to do some adjusting and get used to this.

First question, I logged in as root like the book says to do, but get a warning that this is dangerous. Then it goes to a "gnome" screen.

How do I log in as another user since when I logout and try entering with a new username, it just blinks and says NO WAY!
    sincerely,
    julie Ashley
    mother of ten
    "I can't think about this now. I'll go crazy if I do. I'll think about it tomorrow."
    [/quote]God Bless you if you actually tried to install Corel Linux; that's a pretty dated distro; it might be a good idea to give a more modern distro a shot; the new ones are much more user-friendly.
    BTW; not only should God Bless you, he ought to give you instant Sainthood if you're really the mother of ten (ouch!!) I raised four and that was insane; ten has got to be somewhat of a trial

I installed Corel.... I'm still recovering

Well. Thanks.

The only reason I tried corel was the aboutdebian.com site had the book, Corel Linux for Dummies, listed and, as is my policy, since I could get it for 65c, I did. I love books and computers.

The Red Hat 6 cd and book are also old but I have a friend who is sending me RH8- and the boot disk I created using this book's cd let me fix my partition tables so that SOMETHING would install on my "toy" computer. This computer is being put together from a box of parts my friends and family have thrown out-literally OUT. ;D I got the idea from the debian site.

As for my ten children, I do have nine living children [one passed away]- and I can assure you that my Harley man [ who is indeed the father of them all] is harder to take care of. . ., as men always are. . .
    but I must be doing ok. I didn't get all those children by riding in a station wagon, haha :-*

Thanks for your help ya'll. Fixing to crank it up again and see what happens.

sincerely,
    julie Ashley
    mother of ten

Momma, you gonna LOVE Redhat 8.0!! This is a rabid Debian user telling you that; now, if Redhat would just install apt-get as the DEFAULT package management system, I might change!
    Rh 8.0 is the easiest install I've ever done; and the prettiest! And EVERYTHING worked out of the box!! It's better than a V-Rod! (Norton owner here)

The differences between v. 6 and v. 8 are phenomenal. These releases came at VERY different times in the world of the linux desktop, and 8 is beautiful compared to 6. You'll like it. Now when you do get 8 installed, go to http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/ and install the utility. NOW it truly is a wicked distro.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=6758;start=0#63436 date=1049608622]
    The differences between v. 6 and v. 8 are phenomenal. These releases came at VERY different times in the world of the linux desktop, and 8 is beautiful compared to 6. You'll like it. Now when you do get 8 installed, go to http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/ and install the utility. NOW it truly is a wicked distro.
    [/quote]Agree 100% with one caveat; do a minimal install, and use apt to install the RPM's you want; I had a major dependancy issue with a standard install after I D'L'ed apt-rpm; a re-install (minimal) and apt fixed me right up; I'm very impressed with RH 8.0- the first ever Linux install for me was RH 5.2; I almost stopped trying to use Linux after that; I couldn't even configure X; CLI + NO IDEA what I was doing= MAJOR frustration. Anyhow, Redhat 8.0 is a very mature opreating system; I may not like the default package management, but I've got no complaints with the OS itself- it's SUPAH!!