Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

cga and Debian
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cga and Debian

Hybrid View

cga and Debian

OK people, I am thinking about trying Debian.

Advice?

Re:cga and Debian

Dive right in! ;D 8)

You seem to like ancient things.... so go right ahead. :F

Advisor

*Sirens wailing and submarine men running around*
    DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

You can never go wrong with trying out new distro's! ;D

Go ahead!!

Good Guru

Actually, Debian is the most updated distro out there.

My testing brunch update in average 3 packages per day.

Advisor

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=7;threadid=6757;start=0#65167 date=1052895867]
    Actually, Debian is the most updated distro out there.

My testing brunch update in average 3 packages per day.
    [/quote]

I disagree, sure the testing branch is very up to date, and some people run it perfectly fine, but the stable branch is NOT up to date, and some people are scared of testing / unstable. For those willing to run testing this is great, but for other more timid users the packages are _slightly_ outdated. But you're right in some ways, there definitely is potential there for an up to date system.

Yeah stable is OLD...really old. I recall them adding KDE 3 just a month or two back. But it's also very stable, so I think you'll find it much to your liking. Unstable is extremely fresh, so it caters to all. Overall it's my second favorite distro (behind gentoo). Go for it...you might like.

i like debian, it is my webserver box.

Good Guru

I think the explaination of Debian way of things is in order ....

Unlike some distros that tried to be one-size-fit-all, Debian people seems to prefer to give the choice to its users.

For majority of people, production stable is a very minor feature. Before things to be sorted out, many distro vendors come out with new releases ( very microsoft like ) instead of making the current distro updated and stable. For example, I run RH 7.3 and I'm limited to specific kernel upgrades and software upgrades. Unless I run RH 9.0 ( which we have no way of knowing stable or not ), most packages will be yesterdays' versions ( don't tell me to compile from source either ).

So Debian come up with three brunches. Stable for those anally worry about being rock-solid ( like me on Servers ) and that need no latest software nor kernels ( there is nothing my P II Xeon 450 can take advantage of in 2.4.20 than my current 2.2.22 ). I don't need the latest Apache. There is no X on my system nor the latest video card. As long as it's rock solid, I'm happy with it.

I also run testing on one of my server which is part my desktop and part PDC/SAMBA server. It's very stable although it need not be a mission critical system.

For the lover of latest and greatest, there is unstable brunch.

What else can you ask for from a distro??