Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Red Hat 9 Review

Thread: Red Hat 9 Review

Red Hat 9 Review

Since Slackware, Mandrake and SuSE have gotten spotlight reviews in our news I figured it was about time to let Red Hat have one!

This is by no means a technical review - it is just a summary of my experience as I was going along, installing and configuring a Red Hat Linux 9 machine. I installed the standard "workstation" installation on my 2 year old desktop machine. I like Gnome at home, KDE at work, but this review only covers my experience with the default Gnome installation.
    Read it here.

Re:Red Hat 9 Review

thanks Ash!

LOL. Im gonna be rick420.....Redhat no mp3s out the box? And they call this a useable desktop distro? And no test config for X? tsk tsk......Like I always say Redhat = Server , Drake = Desktop. Dont fool yourselves thinking otherwise...

I'm running it now, and it's sweet...

The mp3 thing is a legal issue, Mandrake (and all other distros) should probably consider removing mp3 support as well.. I have no problem with it - and it's a simply thing to add should you need it.

Anyways, it makes a sweet desktop system here... I like it alot, but I want Ximian Desktop 2 so bad right now to make up for some strangeness in rh9' gnome... no ACME fx. I love acme.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=19;threadid=6742;start=0#63283 date=1049400556]
    I like it alot, but I want Ximian Desktop 2 so bad right now to make up for some strangeness in rh9' gnome... no ACME fx. I love acme.
    [/quote]

Just in case you wern't aware, Ximian has started to lag behind the GNOME Foundation releases. GNOMEF is on 2.2 and Ximian recently released 2.0 if I remember correctly.

I remember being a tad peeved when I installed SuSE 8.1 to discover I couldn't play my divx files. It came with all the players I'd expect to do it, but they were crippled. It would have been better to not include them at all then to include a cripled versions IMHO.

Good Guru

well, that depends if it is even legal or not. Alot of the stuff like playing DVD's and such is technically illegal. Hence why many distros dont inlcude that kind of stuff. As for mp3, I could care less. I converted my stuff to ogg a long time ago. In fact right around RH 7.2. So over a year and a half ago. And the way I see it is good riddens. Smaller and (technically, I can barely tell to be honest) audibly higher quality, oggs work for me. Plus its license is alot more my style.