Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux On Mars???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux On Mars???

Linux On Mars???

I read an article on one of my Linux User and Developer magazines the other day, and apparently there is some research being done by NASA into running the latest Mars landers by a modified version of Linux. Apparently they'll have to make changes to the Kernel to allow it to run as a hard-real-time OS, but other then that, there are no initial problems with the project. It is good to see that Linux is getting used for all sorts of purposes.
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Advisor
    do you know if they are using rtlinux? or patching it for the real-time stuff on their own.

They are using rtlinux, actually. Looks like you know your Linux stuff ey?
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

Linux was also the first OS to make it to Antarctica. They modified it so well that it could fit into a 20mb partition and still have room for other programs. Wow, you can do everything with Linux, except 3D rendering with the damn S3 UniChrome Graphics!
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubsbum
    They are using rtlinux, actually. Looks like you know your Linux stuff ey?
    not really, but i've been looking at using rtlinux for a project recently so i'm wondering how people have fared with it.

They are still using it in test stages, and nothing may come out of the project! Time will tell.
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

Wow, if we could get him going I think beezlebubsbum could carry an entire conversation on by himself ;-)

On a side note. What distinguishes a 'real time OS' from other operating systems? I have head the term but I am not sure what it means completely.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

They're using Linux in the mars rovers. So, It's not just in testing. It's in full use.

You can download the program they are using to communicate with the rovers too, its built in Java. ;-) Obviously, its a stripped down version or else you would have every bored teenager with an internet connection driving the Spirit rover for the nearest cliff.

You can get cool panorama's of difference areas the rover has been to. Every so often you can download a new photo pack and look around where the rover has been to. I can't remember what the heck the name of the program is tho....

Maestro, thats right.
    http://mars.telascience.org/home/
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by jro
    On a side note. What distinguishes a 'real time OS' from other operating systems? I have head the term but I am not sure what it means completely.
    guaranteed immediate response to interrupts

IOW, if your hdd/some_other_peripheral says it wants access, it gets it _NOW_....