Thread: java

java

hey! i just got linux and for some reason i'm missing an application and can't get into chat rooms or game websites or anything...if anyone can tell me where to find it that'd be great! or what to do because quite frankly i'm horribly confused!

the message says: this page contains information of a type (application/x-java/vm) that can only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in.

so what do i do?? thanks for any help!

Re:java

You're missing the java plugin.

What browser are you using? What distribution of Linux are you using?

hello,
    grab it off from here:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html
    i use the jre version - j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin, open a terminal and , type su - to become root and enter roots password, cd to where you down loaded it and
    type chmod +x j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin and then ./j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin it iwill ask a question, like where to put it (i use /usr/local) and then you will need to make a link from where it is install to where you have your browser pluggins installed, for me this is also /usr/local/mozilla/pluggins - redhat put mozilla pluggins in /usr/lib/mozilla/pluggins/
    the command to make a link is
    ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.4.0_02/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/mozilla/pluggins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=6673;start=0#62660 date=1048559475]
    hello,
    grab it off from here:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html
    i use the jre version - j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin, open a terminal and , type su - to become root and enter roots password, cd to where you down loaded it and
    type chmod +x j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin and then ./j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin it iwill ask a question, like where to put it (i use /usr/local) and then you will need to make a link from where it is install to where you have your browser pluggins installed, for me this is also /usr/local/mozilla/pluggins - redhat put mozilla pluggins in /usr/lib/mozilla/pluggins/
    the command to make a link is
    ln -s /usr/local/j2re1.4.0_02/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/mozilla/pluggins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    [/quote]

Just to clarify, make sure all instances of "pluggin" are replaced by "plugin" ;D

thanks Tyr_7BE!!

edit: corrected spelling