Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge Base

Knowledge Base

I think LJR/LJR members have done a great job over the years helping linux users solve many different issues. However, as time passes, many of these solutions have become buried under the newer threads. The Search option is not always helpful in browsing old posts for answers.
    I have been thinking it might be a good idea to start going over all the support threads in the forums, and slowly make some kind of Knowlege base, inclusing the suggestions everyone has made for every issue, and if a particular suggestion has been useful.
    For example, How to get MP3's to play in RH 8, and all the answers people have given, and How to stop services from starting in Slackware, and so on. Basically, just digging on the support threads and taking the answers and putting them in an accessible form.
    I could donate some time to work on this. Of course, we would need more volunteers.
    What do you guys think?

Re:Knowledge Base

sounds good - i thought somethikng like a stciky thread that had links to other FAQ threads would be good.

We have PETs, why do we need this?

You are free to submit PETs of any lenght, and on any topic.

Because the PET's do not document the knowledge in each of the threads in the 49 pages of the Technical Support Forum, and I don't think it would be feasible to write a PET for every problem covered in the threads.
    However, it might be feasible to condense the information in the threads and post it in some manner. As I see it, this would further the Mission statement. http://www.linuxjunior.org/mission.shtml

That's a rather big project. It would take a lot of manpower to go over all those threads in a reasonable amount of time. Plus there's the fact that some threads talk about more than one thing, which could put it in more than one category, or perhaps it has a single subject which blurs between two categories. Will those be doubly linked, linked to the most relevant category, or not linked at all? It sounds interesting though, and quite useful. I'd like to hear more about it myself.

I know, but we can try to take some volunteers. I guess we could start with the Tech Support forum. There are about 49 pages there. If we can get 10 volunteers to check check the threasds on one page each week, we'd be done in a month. There are a bunch of us who come here frequently, we might as well make something productive of it.
    I guess the way to format it is open to discussion. I had something more fancy in mind, but PBHarris' suggestion might be more viable. Probably making a permanent thread with subjects, like Nvidia drivers, perhaps a little text explaining what will be inside, and then the links to the threads.

Are there any volunteers to work on this?

why don't we just write a pet telling how to find information on here?

[quote author=trickster link=board=18;threadid=6669;start=0#62766 date=1048696823]
    Are there any volunteers to work on this?
    [/quote]

i nominate you i will also help with what i have in mind.

we could also have a link to the PETs, i suspect many people don't look at them real closely.

I'll help whenever I can