Thread: Burning Software

Burning Software

Im trying to burn the RH 8.0 iso images onto CD using Gnome Toaster. I tried it out and thought i did it right, but when i went to test the cd media i couldnt even mount it! When i restarted to see if it would boot off the cd it didnt. I obviosuly didnt. Something i dont understand is, i didnt mount the Blank CD before i tried writing to it, and it still seemed to write. Now mounting a blank Cd seems silly, because there's no media to mount! Am i right about this? Maybe i should use other burning software, does anyone know of something better. Please advise me on burning cd's, the in & outs.

Thanks!

Re:Burning Software

Not to worry! After giving up with Gnome Toaster, i tried using X-Roast, that also gave me hassles, so i finally used the cdrecord from the shell. Wow, easy, quick, and does the job, after burning the CD in notime, i tested it, and so did RH 8.0 media check, all went fine.

Long Live Shell!

Ow yeah, a nice help page was found at www.redhat.com
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...W-CDRTOOLS-CDR

Later...

yeah cdrecord is awesome. but if you ever want a decent frontend i used to love using Eroaster.

Advisor

I agree, cli seems to be easiest for iso's, but for music and data cd's (but not copying CD's) I would reccommend K3b.

Mentor

I use k3b for almost everything, well I used to, but now I just make and iso and burn that using cdrecord. Its so much easier than pissing around in a gui.
    CP

[quote author=CP link=board=2;threadid=6659;start=0#62571 date=1048367394]
    I use k3b for almost everything, well I used to, but now I just make and iso and burn that using cdrecord. Its so much easier than pissing around in a gui.
    CP
    [/quote]
    Well, what's easier surely depends on what you want to burn. Try mkisofs'ing a horde of files from different directories while excluding others in these directories. That's a real pain on the CLI. Just dragin' and droppin' them in a GUI is way quicker. And while you're at it why not hit the burn button?

Mentor

True, but I usually just copy everything I want into a folder and then make that, I know it takes longer but I usually don't miss anything that way. Each to their own.