Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Bad Linux Day in Mexico

Thread: Bad Linux Day in Mexico

Associate

Bad Linux Day in Mexico

This one is a bit long. Please bear with me.

I am living in Mexico now and I see Linux poping in many places. Today I went to a local dry cleaners to pick up so clothes and the shop was having problems. Yesterday when I dropped off my stuff the employee who often attends me asked for my name and phone number explaining that she had to re-enter me in the shop's computer becuase they now had a new (software) system.

I did not think anything of this until I returned the next day (today) and saw the cleaners was very crowded and no one was being attended. The employee I deal with same me, knew I spoke english (my spanish is acceptable) and asked if I could translate what was on her computer screen. I was really surprised and it took me a moment to realize that the new system the cleaners had installed and the source of the problem the shop was a Linux program.

I was already looking at her computer screen but since I expected to see Windows that is what I saw. The main screen on the monitor was in spanish but for whatever reason the error message she was getting when she tried to access the program was in english.

I have been playing with linux off and on for a few years but there is no way I could figure out how to work the system the dry cleaners had installed. And, even if I could I would not be able to tell the young woman in spanish what had gone wrong with the store's system.

The nearest I could figure out was that someone has entered in a command that (perhas unintentionally as root) and that command had caused the system to lock up. The employees at the cleaners where beginning to panic and the customers waiting to be attended were beginning to get ugly.

In the end the employees at the clearners gave up on Linux, shut down their computers and started doing business with their old hand reciepts. I felt really bad for them that the company management (this store is part of a local chain) had decided to switch from Windows to Linux and did not put any procedures in place for its employees to call for help (and they were calling frantically) if they had problems using an unfamiliar operating system.

I also felt bad that I recognized that the employees problems appeared to be the result of unfamiliarity with Linux but that my own limited knowledge as a off again on again Linux user was not up to the task of helping them. KLRMAR :'(.

Re:Bad Linux Day in Mexico

Most Linux distributions has been translated to Spanish a long time ago - maybe that would have helped if because the system seemed to just have been "slapped" on there with little to any configuration..

Good Guru

Sounds like idiot sysadmins to me. Do they want a new one? I am available , no spanish skills but lotsa Linux skills ;D

I know my Spanish and a bit of English. Not so much linux as other's though :'(

Here is an idea.... Depending on where in Mexico they are, we all could attempt to help (if they gave ssh to those that are really smart) and or rlogin (heaven forbid) to those true linux guru's.

Oh crud I lost my train of thought but at least shotty and trick have offered. Perhaps we should try to help our southern neighbors out a bit.

Ras

If you're anywhere near San Luis, Mexico (and those areas of Arizona), my LUG would be happy to help. I don't think any of us would mind taking a drive down to good 'ol Mexico to help out some newbie Linux users.

[quote author=praetorian link=board=12;threadid=6649;start=0#63317 date=1049466369]
    If you're anywhere near San Luis, Mexico (and those areas of Arizona), my LUG would be happy to help. I don't think any of us would mind taking a drive down to good 'ol Mexico to help out some newbie Linux users.
    [/quote]

Exactly what part of Arizona are we talking I am looking for a good LUG and live in Sierra Vista (about 70miles SE of Tucson)

[quote author=Rastar link=board=12;threadid=6649;start=0#63329 date=1049479639]
    [quote author=praetorian link=board=12;threadid=6649;start=0#63317 date=1049466369]
    [/quote]

Exactly what part of Arizona are we talking I am looking for a good LUG and live in Sierra Vista (about 70miles SE of Tucson)
    [/quote]
    We're talking Yuma, AZ area (also includes Somerton, Gasden, San Luis, and I guess Winterhaven, CA since its 2 miles from Yuma). Sorry, I don't have any contact with LUGs in that area, so I can't refer you to a good group.