Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Annoyance -- Freezing

Thread: Annoyance -- Freezing

Annoyance -- Freezing

I am running RedHat 8.0 on a Compaq Presario 12XL400 laptop. This problem has happened roughly 5 times.

My computer will completely freeze and my keyboard light (I think it is the CAPS key light) flashes. I can't move the mouse or anything and have to force a shut down by holding down the power button.

The major issue is that it seems random. It usually happens when I click on an item in the taskbar (3 out of the 5 times) but doesn't seem to matter which program or anything. I don't know even where to begin to fix this if I don't even know what is causing it. The system log files don't seem to show anything.

Thanks to anyone can help with this unusual problem,
    Martin

Re:Annoyance -- Freezing

hello,
    i am guessing X is taking up the whole processor, for me it seemed like something was forking. anyway, i enabled agp and believe it or not the issue went away. does this laptop use a nvidia card?

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a hardware problem (a card was touchnig metal every once in a while). Just an idea.

causes:

ACPI - is known to be a strange standard (mainly because of Microsoft being totally bitches by "extending" the specifications) adding acpi=off to your lilo/grub config file should help

AMD - I don't know which CPU you have, some AMD cpus are known to do this - adding mem=nopentium to your lilo/grub config file should help.

HEAT - you fan might be software controlled, causing it never to be turned on.. VAIO PCs used to have this problem at least... Again... Microsoft and dumb vendors is the blame - no solution besides freshmeat.net and hope someone has a program for you.

can't think of anymore right now.

Good Guru

[quote author=This nick censored link=board=1;threadid=6647;start=0#62553 date=1048347210]
    HEAT - you fan might be software controlled, causing it never to be turned on.. VAIO PCs used to have this problem at least... Again... Microsoft and dumb vendors is the blame - no solution besides freshmeat.net and hope someone has a program for you.
    [/quote]

Ill extend to this very accurate response. Spend $5.00 - $10.00 for a new CPU fan from Radio Shack or whatever your favorite computer parts retail store is. I have heard of this shit too, and I dont like software controlled hardware like that. I would personally prefer to turn the fans off when the computer is off, no other time. And if you really want to see for yourself if this is even applicable, pop the hood on the PC and see if the fan is spinning. If it aint, you are probably going thermal ;D Fix that and see if it helps !

Though my computer can and does sometimes overheat, my fan works fine. It must be hardware controlled or Linux supports it.

I do not have AMD...

ACPI looks familiar... that might be it. If I don't have it will adding acpi=off do anything not favorable?

Good Guru

[quote author=Lalartu link=board=1;threadid=6647;start=0#62681 date=1048584778]
    If I don't have it will adding acpi=off do anything not favorable?
    [/quote]
    Ahh, well that will cause a message to pop up during boot to tell you so and will continue on. I wouldn't worry about any bad things happening with that.

Plus, make sure that you have ENOUGH coolant working for you. An extra fan, putting the case on, getting a BETTER case, a BETTER fan, etc. will all help out ALOT. My first PC needed an enhanced CPU fan, and a case fan to properly cool the machine. Perhaps you do too. Dont need to plop 70 bucks for some fancy fan, an additional one should do the trick. Check the ambient temp inside the case and see if it is unusually warm. If it is, that is more than likely the case then.