Thread: OpenOffice language modules

OpenOffice language modules

For the first time in a *long* time I was forced to rebuild my main workstation thanks to a bunch of hardware trouble. It was a relatively painless rebuild and I'm back on top of things except for OpenOffice....

The short version is that I can't convince OO that any language modules are installed to save my life. I've installed (via apt-get) both openoffice.org-l10-en and openoffice.org-l10-fr but nothing shows up under Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Writing Aids. Without an installed language spellcheck doesn't work. This is TOTALLY UNCOOL.

I've installed every dictionary package I can think of (before there was a problem with OO in which you had to manually install myspell-en-us, but I've done that to no avail.)

Does anyone have the slightest idea what might be going on here? Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Well, as usual I posted first then fixed it second. If anyone's interested, there's a macro-laden OO file located at:

/usr/share/myspell/dicts

Installed by the OO install itself. If you open it with OO Writer then run the macro it'll download + fix any and all dictionary / thesaurus issues on the fly. Pretty cool.

Another crisis averted... :wink:

Mentor
    K...........9, I just spent a few minutes at OOoDocs.org looking into your problem and was reading the preview of my post when your second post jumped up, well, I was going to direct you to myspell/dicts.

Here is something I want to do, how can I invert the type? I want some leters/words to be inverted.

You have to insert special characters to do that. I'm running into it with typing French (all of the accented letters...). As far as I can tell there's no super-fast way to pop in a non-standard character so you have to select Insert -> Special Character. Fortunately you can add that to one of my the main toolbars so at least you can just click it and don't have to go up to Insert every time.

Mentor
    Ta.

Advisor
    i don't use office programs much so I'm not sure, but couldn't you create a shortcut key that inserts one?