Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mplayer install woes

mplayer install woes

Like most, I could state with some certainty that this may be a "stupid" question. So be it.

I wanted to play an mpeg, and found mplayer. I am using RH8, downloaded mplayer-gui, mplayer-common, and mplayer-skin-default from the "....mplayer.hu" site. Using AMD i686 version. Using RPM's to install.

Common installed OK. However, trying to install the mplayer-gui gives a depend. message saying it needs the skins.....as you might now guess, I try to install the skins and it says it needs mplayer gui.....what have I done to get stuck in this digital paradox?

What am I doing wrong, I have tried to gather info, but its sparse, vague, and maybe assumptive of my knowing more about linux in general. Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated, as I don't have much luck installing packages in general. Links to websites with good help would be just as appreciated, I would like to think I could find this on my own, but I am missing some key bit of info I think. Or more than one...

Thanks,

Chris in Melbourne, Australia (help us down under to get rid of our MS slavery!).

Re:mplayer install woes

hello,
    here are all of the mplayer files i have at it works well for me, the ones on the top are the ones you really want and the ones below are the ones that are nice for dvds, realplayer and a few others.

mplayer-codecs-win32-1.0-2.i386.rpm
    mplayer-font-iso1-1.0-2.noarch.rpm
    mplayer-skin-default-1.6-1.noarch.rpm
    mplayer-gui-0.90rc3-2.athlon.rpm
    mplayer-common-0.90rc3-2.athlon.rpm
    mplayer-0.90rc3-2.athlon.rpm
    mplayer-tools-0.90rc3-2.athlon.rpm

mplayer-codecs-win32-dmo-9.0-2.i386.rpm
    mplayer-codecs-win32-qt-6.0-2.i386.rpm
    mplayer-codecs-linux-real-9.0-2.i386.rpm
    mencoder-0.90rc3-2.athlon.rpm

Hi again,

I guess what I was having problems with was using the install files that mplayer.hu advises. Gui, common, and skins.

can you tell me why when I install the GUI it says it cannot install w/o the skins, and when I install the skins, it says it cannot install w/o the GUI?

You reckon its because I am missing the win32 files (why would I need win32 files for a linux install?)?

Is there a certain order to installing this stuff? If so, it isn't very clear, even on mplayer's site.

hello,
    nah - the win32 things are for avi files, they are codecs. what i do is load all these into a directory and then do a rpm -Uvh *.rpm and let rpm sort it out. it has worked pretty good for me. i am quite sure there is an order needed, aka rpm hell...

Make sure your have these files:

MPlayer #base player
    mp-arial-iso-8859-1 #fonts
    default.tar.bz2 #default skin
    w32codec-0.60 #Windows codecs (not mandatory)

Untar the default (or other skin) in ~/.mplayer/Skin/
    After so, you won't get an error for not having one. Add any others you want here also.

If I stop using RPM's, I may be better off, thats the message I am getting. Right?

Also, OK then if using the tarballs, where do I put the skins? "~" is my home, I think, right? Great, so how do I know where the software is supposed to be installed?

usr/bin?

usr/local/bin?

See, what I'd also like is a link or a book that I can buy that is just a large 'cheat sheet' so I can refer to it and know what directory things are supposed to go in. For example, the only thing in my usr/bin dir is "fdisk' which I didn't use to partition. Used FIPS I think.......whatever redhat used in the install.

Generally, though, am I better off using tar files and compiling the stuff myself? And if so, where is the best reference/reading for using that, because I don't 'get' the /.configure options, am clueless. I'd like to learn this on my own, somehow, where should I look? Would I do well to learn some basic C++? Or something like that?

Thanks....plus, helping me is helping us Aussies (Actually, am a former American who moved her a few years back), and I think people here would do well to get out from under MS's thumb.......we have to pay for our Windows with new machines, so thats part of the reason that I got LInux, it was free, its a huge challenge, and I hate corporations.....

***Insert anti-MS slogan here...***

hello,
    i would stick with the rpms - thatey are really not too bad to install. if you do wish to go with source then download it, extra stuff like skins will go in ~/.mplayer - (the ~ means your home directory). be sure to have your compiling tools installed (gcc, make...)

Add to this, other woes:

And a comment, I am not a programmer, I am a windows person who is trying to use Linux. Trying, I say. Please do not anyone advertise this OS as a viable solution to the non-programming segment of the user community, because its my opinion that there is no way they will be able to use Linux to a degree that will satisfy them.

Most of this will be because of installing programs, and the nightmare that goes along with it.

C'mon, programming geniuses of the world, is it so hard to make something for us dummies so we can use games, new installs of GNOME, etc, etc, w/o taking oh, say 5 hrs looking all over hell for answers that likely do not exist?

I saw Gnome had a new version, thought "hey, I'll try to install it".....figured out how to use the tar files, and ./configure, make, make install.....however, this only works if you are the one person among millions who didn't encounter an error. Unreal. I challenge also someone to find or point out a book or webpage that consolidates the info needed to install programs into a somewhat plain-english text. Dummies is just that, "Linux Bible" assumes that you are the lucky few who don't encounter a problem, etc, etc. Pathetic, if you ask me. If this doesn't improve, how are we supposed to switch off of M$? Thats the idea for some of us, you know, get rid of the idea of lining Gates' pockets, you\d think there would be heaps of support for this endeavor.

Analogy: I ride mountain bikes. I can put one together, adjust it, tweak it, etc.....but I do not know how to forge a chain from raw metal. This is the level of understanding that I am expected to be with Linux? Why bother with a GUI?

Anyone got any *clear* (as in, not conflicting, or in a different language, than another poster on the same forum, you are all using Linux, right?) ideas as to the following:

Why can I not install Glib 2.x.x and get it to be recognized by other software? How do I correct the fact that somewhere there is a path missing that points to this lib? AND....which directory is it supposed to be pointed to, as this same lib file seems to be in maybe 4 different directories......talk about confusing. Is this someone's idea of a GUI, GNOME and KDE? Why bother, again, having a GUI, when one has to resort to CLI every time it seems.

I have yet to install ONE friggin program and have it work. usually, I am on a goose chase for files that I have no clue about, and each web=page or doc you look at says a different thing. And, no, telling me to "./configure, make, make install" is not what I call helping. Sorry to vent. But its a bit frustrating, and I think it needs to be made clear to the users out there thatif they do not have a solid Unix/Linux background and a bit of programming behind them, they had better forget it. I guess its M$ or Mac for the rest of the non-C++/Java people.

Good Guru

[quote author=ctresnak link=board=2;threadid=6601;start=0#62057 date=1047787929]
    Common installed OK. However, trying to install the mplayer-gui gives a depend. message saying it needs the skins.....as you might now guess, I try to install the skins and it says it needs mplayer gui.....what have I done to get stuck in this digital paradox?

What am I doing wrong, I have tried to gather info, but its sparse, vague, and maybe assumptive of my knowing more about linux in general. Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated, as I don't have much luck installing packages in general.
    [/quote]

Ahh you ran into an easy one really. Just go and make a folder in your home directory and call it something. Copy the 3 rpms into it (or move, doesnt really matter in the end). Then open up a terminal and type :

cd nameofnewfolder
    rpm -Uvh *rpm

If you are not running as root (as I hope you are not) you would either need to type su and type in the root password to gain root priveledges for the rpm command, or configure sudo and usee that. Assuming from your comments you probably dont know what sudo is or how to configure or use it. Please bear in mind, making an rpm is actually REALLY easy and properly making an rpm .spec with appropriate dependency lists require a bit of careful work and PROOFREADING (thats to all of you moron rpm builders who need to TEST YOUR WORK!). If an rpm doesnt work, dont loose sleep. Get an official one. And I am not sure how the RedHat tool expects to handle rpm dependencies since you are AFAIK only allowed to click on one at a time, but the printed documentation does include this.

http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/

Almost as simple as point-and-click. It's how I installed mplayer on my old RH8 system. For something real cool, throw Synaptic (link off above page) on top of it and it really boils down to "select application -> hit install"