Thread: Various Software Problems

Various Software Problems

Hi guys - i 've been messing around with RH8 for a few days and i've come up with a little list of things that i could do with some help on!

1) I've got the emu10k1 driver installed, but i have to do modprobe emu10k1 every time i start up to activate it. how do i automate this?

2) Xmms seems to be broken - when i click sound and video --> audio player nothing happens, and when i type xmms in a terminal i get "segmentation fault". any ideas?

3) A really simple one - how do i change my hostname? i'ts purely for aesthtic purposes, i'm not (and won't be) connected to the net or a network.

4) Another easy one i think - how do i change the text colour for directories, executables etc in the terminal. some of the colors blend in with my background and i can't see what i'm doing!

5) finally, a slightly random one - for some reason mozilla has broken my usual user account. It will open, but i can't navigate outside of my home directroy (to /usr/share/doc/html for example). Every time i try to go up to / in the open file dialog, it crashes.

tas always, thank you all very much for your help. when i get a bit more experienced with linux i hope to be able to make a positive contribution to this site, rather than always asking for help!

paul

Re:Various Software Problems

I can't help you with all of them, but perhaps I can with some:

1) Add /sbin/modprobe emu10k1 to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. This will make it run the command each time the computer boots up.
    3)To change the hostname, edit /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts, and replacehostname and domainname for your own hostname and domain name.

About the problems with the applications, perhaps you can try reinstalling the applications. Here is PBHarris' RPM cheat list. http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=35
    Or also, see if the applications crash under a different account. If they do not, try removing their settings from your profile, perhaps something is wrong with them. In your home directory, there should be a hidden folder for Mozilla, holding your settings, There might be one for XMMS.

Re:Various Software Problems

[quote author=pjt link=board=2;threadid=6596;start=0#62017 date=1047730289]
    Hi guys - i 've been messing around with RH8 for a few days and i've come up with a little list of things that i could do with some help on!

1) I've got the emu10k1 driver installed, but i have to do modprobe emu10k1 every time i start up to activate it. how do i automate this?
    hello, for me redhat put this in

Code:
    alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
    post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    what trickster said should work too.

2) Xmms seems to be broken - when i click sound and video --> audio player nothing happens, and when i type xmms in a terminal i get "segmentation fault". any ideas?
    hummsss.. i can only guess there is something afoot in ~/.xmms, i would try doing rm -rf ~/.xmms

3) A really simple one - how do i change my hostname? i'ts purely for aesthtic purposes, i'm not (and won't be) connected to the net or a network.
    see tricksters response

4) Another easy one i think - how do i change the text colour for directories, executables etc in the terminal. some of the colors blend in with my background and i can't see what i'm doing!
    change your env for colors
    here is mine
    Code:
    LS_COLORS=no=00:fi=00:di=00;34:ln=00;36:pi=40;33:so=00;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=01;05;37;41:mi=01;05;37;41:ex=00;32:*.cmd=00;32:*.exe=00;32:*.co
    m=00;32:*.btm=00;32:*.bat=00;32:*.sh=00;32:*.csh=00;32:*.tar=00;31:*.tgz=00;31:*.arj=00;31:*.taz=00;31:*.lzh=00;31:*.zip=00;31:*.z=00;31:*.Z=00;31:*.
    gz=00;31:*.bz2=00;31:*.bz=00;31:*.tz=00;31:*.rpm=00;31:*.cpio=00;31:*.jpg=00;35:*.gif=00;35:*.bmp=00;35:*.xbm=00;35:*.xpm=00;35:*.png=00;35:*.tif=00;
    35:
    it would be export LS_COLORS=whatUwant in .bashrc

5) finally, a slightly random one - for some reason mozilla has broken my usual user account. It will open, but i can't navigate outside of my home directroy (to /usr/share/doc/html for example). Every time i try to go up to / in the open file dialog, it crashes.
    tas always, thank you all very much for your help. when i get a bit more experienced with linux i hope to be able to make a positive contribution to this site, rather than always asking for help!

paul
    [/quote]
    hummss... i would get a different verison of mozilla, or else back up your ~.mozilla directory and then do a rm -rf ~/.mozilla and fire up mozilla and see if t still happens.