Thread: Creating Start Menu Items in RedHat 8.0 KDE and GNOME

Hybrid View

Creating Start Menu Items in RedHat 8.0 KDE and GNOME

Hello

While installing my application through a shell script, I am trying to create a menu for it with some items in it for execution, in the linux start menu in RedHat 8.0 KDE and GNOME. (a menu item similar to Accessories, Graphics, Internet etc)
    I have prepared the .desktop files, but i dont know about their location in the file system.
    Can anybody tell me, where should i create a folder and copy my files so that they appear as menu items in the start menu (in both KDE and GNOME) ?
    Im eagerly waiting for a solution,

thanks in advance,
    ramesh

Re:Creating Start Menu Items in RedHat 8.0 KDE and GNOME

I think you are going at the wrong way. Right click your K button, (In your case the RedHat button) and choose Menu Editor. You can add what ever app where ever you want. You just have to tell it the path of the file. You don't have to actually put it anywhere different.

im sorry to say that using menu editor will not solve the purpose
    coz
    firstly,
    i found that it is applicable only for the current user, ie., menu items will be created only for the current user login, when logged in as a diff user, i will not be seeing the same menu item. But what i want is menu items for all the users !!!
    and secondly,
    I want the menu to be created automatically by the installation script when I install the application, user should see the menu as soon as my application gets installed. So, my script should place the kdelnk (or desktop) files in a proper path.
    Hope i will get the solution,

thanks anyway pal

regards,
    ramesh

[quote author=rameshvl link=board=9;threadid=6595;start=0#62097 date=1047883320]
    im sorry to say that using menu editor will not solve the purpose
    coz
    firstly,
    i found that it is applicable only for the current user, ie., menu items will be created only for the current user login, when logged in as a diff user, i will not be seeing the same menu item. But what i want is menu items for all the users !!!
    and secondly,
    I want the menu to be created automatically by the installation script when I install the application, user should see the menu as soon as my application gets installed. So, my script should place the kdelnk (or desktop) files in a proper path.
    Hope i will get the solution,

thanks anyway pal

regards,
    ramesh
    [/quote]

From what I interpret, you're building some kind of app and you want your install script to install desktop links? In that case, I think Gnome stores them in ~/.gnome-desktop, and KDE stores them in ~/Desktop. As for doing it for all users, you could maybe make a script that copies it to everyone's ~/whatever directory. IE (Please excuse terrible code...I'm hardly functional at bash)
    Code:
    for i in 'ls /home'
       cp icon.desktop /home/$i/Desktop
       cp icon.desktop /home/$i/.gnome-desktop
    end
    cp icon.desktop /root/Desktop
    cp icon.desktop /root/.gnome-desktop
    REDUNDANT DISCLAIMER: The above code was a complete syntactical guess, start to finish.

Does this answer the question?

EDIT: Crap. Sorry. Just reread your post. You wanted the MENU link locations. No idea. But I assume that you ARE building an application and need to find the paths to each desktop's menu, right?

hello Tyr_7BE

exactly, im building an application and i want the MENU link locations, not the desktop icons ie., a menu item MYAPP similar to Accessories,Extras,Graphics etc in the linux start menu (RedHat 8.0 KDE and GNOME)

anyway, thanks for the suggestion,

ramesh