Thread: sub interfaces

Hybrid View

sub interfaces

Hi,

What would be the purpose of having multiple sub interfaces on an ethernet adapter? For instance, eth0:1, eth0:2, etc

I'm thinking this is if you own multiple IP addresses, you can assign an IP to a virtual device such as eth0:1. Am I right?

Re:sub interfaces

yeah you can do more than one ip. so let's say I'm running a webserver on 192.168.1.1 and a mail server on 192.168.1.2 and i need to take the webserver down for a little while. i could have the mail server take 192.168.1.1 but keep it's 192.168.1.2 and just have a dummy webpage that explains it being down. this way i don't need another nic.

or it can be used to sniff someone elses traffic through a switch, but arpspoof is a cleaner method of doing this.

[edit:moving to networking]

Don't most shell companies have a sub interface for each public ip address they have when setting up vhosts? BTW, sorry for posting this in the wrong forum.

no problem for posting in the wrong forum.

i'm not sure what you are asking. you mean when a web hosting company offers a bunch of different sites on one computer? this is done not by ip but by apache. (if i go to www.foo.com first i resolve to ip and that's 1.2.3.4 then i connect and send my request but also a Host: www.foo.com. then it knows foo.com is what i want. then I go to www.bar.com with ip 1.2.3.4 and i send Host: www.bar.com and it knows i want bar.com)