Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Installing Gnome

Thread: Installing Gnome

Installing Gnome

Unfortunately after i had already installed RH 7.3 and purposely left out GNOME i found that it is proberbly the better of the two (KDE Vs GNOME). Now rightfully so i have to do it the hard way!

Can anyone assist with installing Gnome. I have looked on my first of 3 CD's for RH 7.3 and found a couple of GNOME RPM's on the Cd. I just need a bit if help with, how to use rpm, and then which rpm's to install.

Ow happy days

Thanks.
    Later...

Re:Installing Gnome

hello,
    if you have all the CDs then do a rpm - Uvh gnome* while in /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/, if there are any dependcies it will tell you. hth

oh yea - rpm cheat cheat there -> http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=35

[quote author=Wolverine link=board=2;threadid=6565;start=0#61740 date=1047371262]
    Unfortunately after i had already installed RH 7.3 and purposely left out GNOME i found that it is proberbly the better of the two (KDE Vs GNOME). Now rightfully so i have to do it the hard way!

Can anyone assist with installing Gnome. I have looked on my first of 3 CD's for RH 7.3 and found a couple of GNOME RPM's on the Cd. I just need a bit if help with, how to use rpm, and then which rpm's to install.

Ow happy days

Thanks.
    Later...
    [/quote]

Just FYI...if it's Gnome1 vs KDE3, KDE will undoubtably come out on top. Not sure how well RH did Gnome2 with 7.3, but it's pretty nice in 8.0

Good Guru

RedHAt 8 was the first RedHat Linux to include GNOME 2. But the best bet to do, providing you have cable or dsl (or something comparably fast) is to use GARNOME to grab the latest GNOME 2.2 stuff. GARNOME will grab any dependencies and compile the source for ya.

GNOME 2 is less configurable than KDE at this point, but is alot cleaner than the GNOME 1.4 releases from both Ximian and RedHat.

Oh and Tyr -- I dont agree there, I preferred GNOME 1.4 over KDE 3. Rarely used KDE on my 7.3 box. Purely preference, no insult to the qt/KDE team. Ford vs GM IMHO.