Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Getting A Grip On Distro's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting A Grip On Distro's

Getting A Grip On Distro's

After tending to Linux on/off for a couple of years now i have decided to convert my work machine to Linux for good, leaving my home PC to run my multimedia (TV, Games, DVD's, Movies, MP3's). My first purchase a couple of years back was a Boxed RH 6.0. The easy setup and GUI in those days comforted me so that i could get to grips with Linux, and understand it.

I would like to get some ideas and thoughts about it: What distro should i use for my office machine? To give you an idea of what my needs are i thought id let you know what i work with. I am a system Admin and constantly log into MS Terminal Servers, use VNC as well, depend a lot on Mail/Browsing and a bit of Multimedia and Graphics, as well as having a huge list of MP3's i enjoy listening to.

I have also had a look at www.redhat.com. I am not sure if the download they provide on their ftp:// site is the 8.0 Personal or Professional Edition, they dont say. Also if i had to go RH, would you suggest the Pers or Pro Ed? Maybe not even RH at all. I really wanna get away from M$ and spend time knowing and understanding Linux as well as i understand M$. Views & thoughts are appreciated.

Later...

Good Guru

Re:Getting A Grip On Distro's

Well on the ftp is the RH 8 Personal Ed. The $40 one. And unless you need fancy server shit and printed manuals, the Pro is not necessary really.

As for if you should stick with RH or not -- up to you. If you prefer GNOME and GTK applications, RedHat has the best GNOME 2.0 implementation yet. Their tweaks really help out. AS for KDE, RedHat's tweaks are minor and really haven't separated it far enough for me to say that RH has 'improved' KDE. But that could change (unlikely however).

Mandrake and SuSE are great if you want wizards to do shit for ya. Slackware is perfect for those who know what the hell they are doing and want something that is stable and just plian works. I have never used debian, so my comments there would be pure speculation. My reccomendation is go with RH 8 or if you hold off, RH 8.1 if you are not %100 comfortable doing all modifications via the CLI. Otherwise definitely Slack 9 when it is released. Slack expects you to have a brain, whereas RedHat and its kin tend to baby just a little (or in MDK 9, alot)

I have (as you may have noticed with my latest few weeks of posts) been toying with SuSE 8.1 and Mandrake 9.0 and have for the most part been pleased, but still feel inclined to use RH 8.

No need to mention that I am the resident GNOME and RedHat whore ...

I agree with Schotty's comments and thought I'd drop my thoughts on Debian. Debian also expects you to have a brain when you install. Package management is basically done for you by finding the correct dependencies of the Debian servers and retriving them. It does, however, have the same feel as Slackware, as most things are edited via config files and the like.

If you are wanting to have an OS that you use for everyday work, go with Red Hat, Mandrake or SuSE. If you want to toy, tweek and reak havoc try Slackware or Debian (or Gentoo )

Thanks for the reply, it all makes a lot more sense to me. I have installed RH 7.3 for the moment as it is gonna take a while for me to download the images for 8.0 . Is there a big jump from 7.3 to 8.0? and when is 8.1 expected to be released? I am currently using KDE, could you tell me why you prefer Gnome?

I also had a go at installing Slackware, seems quite interesting, but unfortunately requires a bit more time and effort which i havent got much of right now. I have to have my machine up and running so i can carry on with my Admin.

Ow well, now to find a proggie to download 8.0 with and some burning software to burn it onto cd, ow happy days

Let me know what you think!
    LAter...

If you intend on using KDE I wouldn't really go with RedHat. Yeah it's usable, but it's quite crippled. If you're intent on using KDE, I'd go with Mandy or SuSE or someone else who supports it by default. As for your other question, 8.1 is due out fairly soon so if you do decide to go with RH, I think it would be worth the wait.

Yeah, i dont intend using KDE, i just assumed it was the better of the two. Spose i will have to dig deeper, and spend more time with the distro...

If you have a hard time downloading a specific distro, try posting on the Get Your Distros Here thread. There is probably someone near you who can burn and mail you a copy of your favorite distro just for the shipping price.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=6556;start=0#61684 date=1047307967]

I have (as you may have noticed with my latest few weeks of posts) been toying with SuSE 8.1 and Mandrake 9.0 and have for the most part been pleased, but still feel inclined to use RH 8.

[/quote]

Or just wait about a week, and grab Mandrake 9.1 It has great tools for configging everything from your server to your VNC. Comes with a full KDE 3.1 for your browsing/multimedia needs, and Im sure will continue on the stable excellent trend 9.0 has/had.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=6556;start=0#61684 date=1047307967]

[/quote]

he is also the gtk whore...

gnome? redhat? gtk ? gahhhh i'm gonna scream! :P

actually gnome is my fav of the de's but i really have no particular leaning to gtk as i find almost every gtk interface "rough" looking and buggy at least in some way.

i wish the all interfaces were ncurses. ......or aqua