Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Iraq
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraq

Iraq

Hey guys:

Just wondering, what do you guys think about the current Iraq situation we (The United States - I know a few of you at least live in other countries.) are getting into?

Mentor

Re:Iraq

I figured there's no right or wrong answer to this question. Both sides are right and wrong at the same time.
    People at those peace rallies have probably no idea what it's like to live in a dictatorship (of course not, they are allowed to express their opinion in their country). People supporting war have no idea what it's like to have their house bombed out and relatives to get killed.

Is war a good thing? Hell, no!
    Is Saddam's regime a good thing? Hell, no!
    Can the world get rid of Saddam without a war? That's debatable, but my feeling is no.

I can only hope that if war does broke out (at this point I think it's inevitable) it will be short with a minimum amount of casualties (except for Saddam) and at the end will result in a democratic Iraq.

mmm, i think that was a rather intelligent answer, cloverm. i commend you. (whether i agree or not).

I agree with cloverm. I've been back and forth on this issue myself. But I do think North Korea is a much bigger threat right now.

Really, look at how much good the war did in afganistan... I think instead of bombing Saddam, couldn't we help rebuild, reorganise and (re)educate the afgani society ?

Finish what you start...

War should be avoided, there's nothing redeeming about war. Can we avoid war, sure...

they should do what america first planned at the gulf war but abandonden which was to educate the kurd's in the north and help then rebell against saddam.

Mentor

[quote author=Mor_gath link=board=14;threadid=6554;start=#61672 date=1047299319]
    they should do what america first planned at the gulf war but abandonden which was to educate the kurd's in the north and help then rebell against saddam.
    [/quote]

Danger, danger! The USA was supporting the mujahedeen (even Osama bin Laden!) in Afghanistan to fight the Russians back in the 80's. You know how that policy ended up ... :

[quote author=cloverm link=board=14;threadid=6554;start=0#61675 date=1047300428]
    [quote author=Mor_gath link=board=14;threadid=6554;start=#61672 date=1047299319]
    Danger, danger! The USA was supporting the mujahedeen (even Osama bin Laden!) in Afghanistan to fight the Russians back in the 80's. You know how that policy ended up ... :
    [/quote]
    I agree with you on this.

I figured there's no right or wrong answer to this question. Both sides are right and wrong at the same time.
    People at those peace rallies have probably no idea what it's like to live in a dictatorship (of course not, they are allowed to express their opinion in their country). People supporting war have no idea what it's like to have their house bombed out and relatives to get killed.

Is war a good thing? Hell, no!
    Is Saddam's regime a good thing? Hell, no!
    Can the world get rid of Saddam without a war? That's debatable, but my feeling is no.

I can only hope that if war does broke out (at this point I think it's inevitable) it will be short with a minimum amount of casualties (except for Saddam) and at the end will result in a democratic Iraq.

That is true also. However, you have to keep in mind that the reason Bush wants to go to war is not to liberate this people, as has been tried to be showed in the media lately. Bush's stand on this war is because he thinks Iraq has WMD, and probably for economical reasons too. He could give a damn about the regime the people are subject too. If the US made war to bring democracy and human rights, there are a lot of other countries that have far worse regimes, and are left untouched because they are allies of the US.
    Same deal in Afghanistan. Main reason was the hunt for Osama. If Al-Qaeda had supplied Osama since the beggining, as was proposed by Bush, Al-Qaeda would still be in power there. the "liberation" was jsut a lucky side effect.
    On my personal opinion, I think the Big Brother disposition is creating many enemies for the US. Basically, it amounts to this: you better do things as I like, or I am going to use my superior power to make you. Throughout history, we have seen this attitude from many powerful empires: Rome, Greece, etc. Eventually power fades. And I bet that no one would want a more owerful nation coming to say: "I don't like your capitalistic regime. Change it or I'm going to blow you away."
    I understand how this might be necessary at some points, but I don't think that Iraq poses such a threat as stated; as someone else already said, North Korea seems a bigger threat, and is being ignored at the moment. [/quote]

UPDATE: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8217 Wasn't the inhuman regime supposed to dissappear after the war in Afghanistan?

[quote author=cloverm link=board=14;threadid=6554;start=0#61675 date=1047300428]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Oh... sweet poetic justice...

But I agree, it's bound to backfire

The more I hear about the war on terrorism (including Iraq) the more I seem to disagree with it. I saw pictures of small camps holding suspected terrorists where they were blindfolded and sitting in small quarters on their knees. It reminded me of those Korean POW torture pictures. They also said (and this I am not sure of, but it was reported on the news) that 2 men had been beaten to death in one of these facilities.

I have a cousin in the military who is on the front lines and said they have initiated some attacks in some small villiages. He told us it was really disguisting how a lot of our own troops didn't care who they shoot at as long as it was alive and is now dead. He has seen Men, Women and children shot ... somtimes for 'points'.

Now, I am all for justice, freeing the oppresed, and helping others but to do so imorally just makes us as bad as those whom we are attacking. If we can't fight (or talk!) morally we should spend all this time and money figuring out our problems so that we don't institute our faults in other new republics we build.

Since I we quickly changed from Afganastan to Iraq for some unknown reason (at least at the start) I have to say this ....

"Who are we at war with?"
    "Oceana."
    "No!"
    *Screams*
    "Who are we at war with?"
    "Oceana!"
    "NO!"
    *Screams*
    "We are at war with Eurasia.
    "But we were at war with Oceana yesterday."
    "No we were not. You are confused. Who are we at war with?"
    "Eurasia."