Thread: Explain to me why giFT is so great

Explain to me why giFT is so great

Hey guys,

I heard about giFT in the cool applications thread and set it up last night (using giFTcurs as client) and was searching for music but all my downloads are either queued (they've been queued since yesterday) or awaiting connection or whatever.

I usually use eDonkey to download music and although it is slow (as in slow moving queues), it's not as slow as giFT.

I want to know if anybody's been successful downloading stuff via the giFT clients as opposed to using nodes (I dislike nodes as it makes searching totally useless). Or maybe you guys are using another server/protocol.

Re:Explain to me why giFT is so great

well the problem come not from the speed but the smaller number of people on the network and the fact that most of them likely have a very smal queu for uploads. i know i only permit a max of two people to upload when i am online (which is rare). for the most part i have only had trouble getting a few songs. but now that i have all i wanted everything else i want to grab i have gotten quickely except video but download speed for video is spotty in evry application.

personally i don't find giFT any better than any other P2P. Since the demise of napster and the changing of morpheus (one of the best p2p from my windows stint) there has not been a really good p2p. besides i really don't believe in them any more though they do provide a means for me to obtain simpsons and futurama episodes.

Really strange: I installed giFT on RH8 and had the same kinds of problems that you describe...slow queues and the inability to download very much. Then I installed it on Gentoo and the results have been fantastic! 80% of the stuff I order up begins automatically. If I leave it overnight I'm virtually guaranteed it. My only beef is the small number of users on the network (bound to increase as/if the software becomes more mature and word gets out).

giFT sucks.. Now Kazaa rules kinda... Kazaa is the only software where I can really find and download what I want

I really like BitTorrent, but there's only a limited amount of shared data on the network, on the other hand, I can get most of the TV eps we don't get in Denmark on it, so that evens it out, and the speed is generally quite good.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=2;threadid=6529;start=0#61488 date=1047035547]
    I really like BitTorrent, but there's only a limited amount of shared data on the network, on the other hand, I can get most of the TV eps we don't get in Denmark on it, so that evens it out, and the speed is generally quite good.
    [/quote]

What's BitTorrent all about? Where can I find it? I'm always open to new FS progs

emerge bittorrent (it's a python script - no Gentoo, Google it)

Then you need some .torrent links - I don't want to get Cloverm into trouble, so I won't post those. But as usual IRC is a good place to go looking.

Here's how it works, you only share the file you are downloading, so keep the torrent running a good while after you have downloaded the entire file to help the spreading.

It works best for smaller files, like tv eps and the likes, due to the sharing metode.

Advisor

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=2;threadid=6529;start=0#61451 date=1046993908]
    giFT sucks.. Now Kazaa rules kinda... Kazaa is the only software where I can really find and download what I want
    [/quote]

Kazaa also has it's flaws. I have found it to be slow on dialup, although decent on broadband, there is a massive number of files, but a lot of people on there are jack@$$es and think they're cool by renaming stupid non-working things to stuff that everyone wants to download, so that you think you're getting a sweet movie, and it turns out to be some POS game that doesn't work. I have no idea why people want to do this, it's just a waste of their bandwidth, but whatever, it's their call I guess. And the biggest flaw really is that there isn't a linux client! (that i know of at least, if there is one please let me know)

I also have my beefs with giFT, but overall it seems quite good, and should improve drastically once it gets a larger user base.

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=2;threadid=6529;start=0#61451 date=1046993908]
    Kazaa is the only software where I can really find and download what I want
    [/quote]

that's right...Kazaa's only "software". The protocol, Fasttrack, may appear 'good' because it has a lot of users...as more users join 'better' protocols, like OpenFT (ie. giFT), you'll think otherwise.

just my $0.02 Canadian.
    ; )

Good Guru

I use gift and like it. I have only one problem -- my slow ass 56k connection. But other than that, all of the songs I wanted were there. Has alot of genres available. I think there are a few guys that have an assload of music stored on their server and share it ALL. I seem to notice a few people with songs in every query I can think of.