Thread: WindowMaker and me

WindowMaker and me

Well folks, I am running WindowMaker. After getting a new box I did a custom install of SuSE and went light weight. Haven't used WM in a while, and thought it would be fun.

No, there's no point to this post at all- just been some time since a "cga changes his window manager post"...

Re:WindowMaker and me

i remember the good old windowmaker days, *daydreams* oh we had so much fun together but then there was a falling out :-\ for kde 3 was coming out, and fluxbox was talk of the town, so i dropped windowmaker and ran for it towards kde 3 and fluxbox without looking back. maybe i should go pick windowmaker back up

Advisor

[me=PK]ran WindowMaker on his sparc5 for a while, but is now using KDE and not looking back.[/me]

WindowMaker was pretty nice though, the UI took a bit of getting used to, but pretty decent overall.

*Kernel_Killer chants "Fluxbox, Fluxbox"

Good Guru

[me=Schotty], the GNOME whore yodels "GNOME"[/me]

Me and WM never got along. Never liked the look n feel of the thing. And I really did give it a shot...used it heavily for a good month. The best I could ever muster was a "meh". Right after that I went with Blackbox, and fell in love with the *box set. If I go lightweight, it's Fluxbox or Openbox. Waimea will also do, mainly cause it's so customizable.

I like the fluff so I use KDE, but am equally happy with icewm

[quote author=mmiller9 link=board=6;threadid=6525;start=0#61452 date=1046994408]
    I like the fluff so I use KDE, but am equally happy with icewm
    [/quote]

Well, I was a big time IceWM guy until I switched to KDE (see my IceWM PET), but this WindowMaker thing is fun. I have no idea how long I'll stick with it, but I am having fun, and that's somethings these days...

Good Guru

Window maker is pretty nice if you setup your config right. Really nice. For those who HAVENT tried it, do yourself a favor and do. Pretty, but not as resource intensive and KDE or GNOME.

Configuring WindowMaker is a snap with the nice GUI config tool that ships with the window manager.

I am finding Window Maker to be very usable and logical. It looks great, and it stays out of the way. Once you understand how to use appicons and the clip effectively, you can easily manage a large number of windows across a number of workspaces.

WindowMaker also uses the screen corners and edges very effectively as well. You can see what you are doing at a glance, and your time for window management operations is almost instant.

Plus, the menu system is excellent. I like this window manager.