Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Sensational Release of Yoper V1 Ydesktop Edition - 686

Thread: Sensational Release of Yoper V1 Ydesktop Edition - 686

Mentor

Sensational Release of Yoper V1 Ydesktop Edition - 686

Today is a great day for PC users, both personal and business alike, and a great day for the PC industry with the launch of Yoper - Your Operating System. We are proud and honoured to be instigating an exciting new era of personal and business computing with the unprecedented performance of this new operating system which offers so much to the waiting market place -- it unlocks the full power of the PC and enables the best to be enjoyed of what the computing world has to offer.

http://www.yoper.com/finalannounce.html

Mentor

Re:Sensational Release of Yoper V1 Ydesktop Edition - 686

I just installed the latest RC version for evaluation. Here's my rundown:

1.) Hardware detection sucks. Didn't detect my monitor or mouse correctly.
    2.) You don't get any software other than standard KDE desktop apps. No Apache, MySQL, etc.
    3.) Other than the writing the installer (not very user-friendly, I might add) they didn't do anything, but compiled some software packages for 686 and put them together.
    4.) Hard to tell if the speed is really that much improved, could be very subjective.
    5.) $98 for the final version seems very steep. You don't get your money's worth compared to other commercial distros.

Well at least we know that you don't get paid to endorse Yoper. :P

i say again yoper sounds like hell to use and administer. i have not heard one good comment of it and with bold claims like they have made in their final announcement they are certainly setting themselves up for imminent failure.

Personally i don't mind if linux distros charge for their work but any distro that charges over 50 american is daft. i don't care what is included. most of what is included will be old and no installer is worth the cash. further most of the proprietary code included is hardly worth it. face it most of what they include will never be used and is freely available anyway.

well at least you can try out yoper for free which libranet seems to be turning away from altogether.

*shakes head and wonders what the developers of both distros are thinking*

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=19;threadid=6523;start=0#61617 date=1047226472]
    *shakes head and wonders what the developers of both distros are thinking*
    [/quote]

To me, they are simply thinking about money. I like commercial distros but am really beginning to love non-commercial distros even more so (Debian, I love you!). I don't mind paying for commercial distros but I'm having a hard time understanding where the value is. Especially when compared to how easy it was for me to install Debian and Slackware (I know, it's one of the oldest commercial distros out there, but its said to be one of the hardest to install). I think that it would take a compelling reason (such as commercial games or other such commercial software) for me to buy another commecial distro (I bought Suse 8.1 Personal a couple of months ago).

Anyway,
    Cheers

yeah it is all about the dough. i wish they would just come out and say that at libranet but they make it is seem like it is not.

like i say i see nothing wrong with charging but the linux community has it hardwired that not having a free test drive version is a bad idea

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=19;threadid=6523;start=0#61663 date=1047281434]
    yeah it is all about the dough. i wish they would just come out and say that at libranet but they make it is seem like it is not.

like i say i see nothing wrong with charging but the linux community has it hardwired that not having a free test drive version is a bad idea

[/quote]This has been a trend for a while. I suggested Libranet to you at LNO (when it was still LNO, another thing that chaps my ass). After seeing all the Sturm und Drang that came about from that suggestion, I'm kinda sorry I mentioned it; it seems to have made you sorry you tried it. That being said, I still recomend Libranet to newbies; it IS a user friendly introduction to Debian; the only distro that I know of that adheres to the principal of free software. Paying for Libranet ONCE isn't bad, but they're coming out with releases so frequently that it could become more expensive to use Libranet that >SHUDDER< Windows XP. That's a violation of the basic tenants of the Linux community as far as I'm concerned. I've converted to pure Debian; I'll most likely stay that way; it does what I want, and I don't get that vague sense of having been violated when I boot it up.

yay pure debian!

actually you don't need to feel bad about introducing me to libranet. i don't think it is bad but the developers are scum.
    if they were better people i would recommend it.

Chuckle .. I can just see these Yoper guys sitting around, "Hey, we could download a Linux kernel, some GNU apps, slap em together with an installer and CHARGE for it!!!... Yeah let's do it! What'll we call it? I know, YOPER for Your Operating System ... Yeah!! That's the ticket!!!"

Oh and I'll stick with Slackware. Hard to install? It's a hell of a lot easier to install than Debian. Zero to sixty in 20 minutes. No bells, whistles, fancy gui gadgets. It just works, and it keeps on working. I installed Slackware 8.1 when it came out, (how long has it been now, I can't even remember) straight "out of the box" and haven't done a thing to it since except upgrade to KDE 3.1 and install some NVIDIA drivers and it works like a champ.