Thread: PDF utilities

PDF utilities

Now I know linux has some decent PDF viewers. Is there a utility available to create them? I know in Windows there's distiller, which is a VERY handy util. Not free though. Is there anything available (preferrably free) that can create PDF documents in linux?

Also, I've been dying for a free (as in beer, if not speech) PDF viewer that has text search capabilities. I know Adobe's Acrobat does this, but the damn thing is written in Motif and its linux implementation leaves MUCH to be desired (clunkiest POS I've ever seen...I swear they made it back in 93 and decided to forget about it ever since). Does anyone know of any software that might have this capabiliy?

Re:PDF utilities

Xpdf click on the binoculars.

print any file to a post script file, then do a ps2pdf and any doc you can print you can turn into a pdf.

Good Guru

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=6520;start=0#61367 date=1046901409]
    Now I know linux has some decent PDF viewers. Is there a utility available to create them? I know in Windows there's distiller, which is a VERY handy util. Not free though. Is there anything available (preferrably free) that can create PDF documents in linux?

[/quote]

Yeah, and the last place I looked ;D The good ole boys on the RedHat list clued me in, not that I steal credit. OpenOffice can do it. Open up the doc and print it. When the printer screen comes up to pick the print que, select PDF. Its much better for me to hand a pdf resume copy over than a (shudders 10,000 times) MS Word doc.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=6520;start=0#61375 date=1046909284]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=2;threadid=6520;start=0#61367 date=1046901409]

[/quote]

Yeah, and the last place I looked ;D The good ole boys on the RedHat list clued me in, not that I steal credit. OpenOffice can do it. Open up the doc and print it. When the printer screen comes up to pick the print que, select PDF. Its much better for me to hand a pdf resume copy over than a (shudders 10,000 times) MS Word doc.
    [/quote]

Wow...that thing really does it all, huh?

Good Guru

Yeah. Thats why I love maillists. I find all kinds off goodies on the 2 redhat ones I subscribe to. I am thinking of getting on the gnome, kde, and X11 ones too. just to manwhore myself out for knwoledge ;D

pdflatex + vim

'nuff said.

PS. yeah, whenever I need to distibute files to 'handicap' users (not bashing MS exactly, but these people truly *refuse* to look over their Word2000) I send them pdfs and let them work from there...

[quote author=BigFatJoe link=board=2;threadid=6520;start=0#61804 date=1047430834]
    pdflatex + vim

'nuff said.

PS. yeah, whenever I need to distibute files to 'handicap' users (not bashing MS exactly, but these people truly *refuse* to look over their Word2000) I send them pdfs and let them work from there...
    [/quote]

Or pdflatex + any good text editor.... :P

[quote author=cga link=board=2;threadid=6520;start=0#61863 date=1047517963]
    Or pdflatex + any good text editor.... :P
    [/quote]

Well, that's what I meant:

\begin{document}

\begin{quote}
    Or pdflatex + any good text editor\footnote{http://www.vim.org/}\ldots
    \end{quote}

\end{document}