Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Superblock error, lilo prob, all hell

Thread: Superblock error, lilo prob, all hell

Superblock error, lilo prob, all hell

Yea thats right, all hell has broken loose on my box. I ran mandrake update and for some stupid reason decided what the hell and installed the kernel update (2.4.19-24). I rebooted, selected my old kernel, 2.4.19-19 and it booted fine. But X wouldnt start, error about NVdriver.

Im thinkin no big deal, just recompile the nvidia drivers, but no luck there. It gives me an error trying to modprobe the NVdriver saying it has unresolved symbols and wont install. So I decide a reboot needed into this new mandrake kernel, 2.4.19-24. Same error with NVdriver. Now after this next reboot, HELL breaks lose.............

Now for one, when I installed this new mandrake kernel, it obviously changed my lilo.conf. It also made it a graphical boot instead of text I had before. Im thinking no big deal, but now Im seeing error about mounting my raid partition (/dev/md1) saying it has bad superblock. From there it drops me to a terminal type thing (graphical terminal) and only my / (/dev/hda5) is mounted. I was able to mount my /usr (/dev/hdc5) but not my swap or my xp partiton(/mnt/windows) or my raid (/dev/md1).

Ok so I try editing lilo.conf to take out the new kernel entry and the graphical boot as well. But to my surprise I cant run lilo afterwards. I get an error sayign cant write to logical boot partition??? I tried removing all this new kernel stuff, the kernel rpm and the source rpm, but the kernel its tryign to boot is still the kernel that is no longer even existant on my box. Runnign a cat /proc/version display 2.4.19-24 which isnt even on my box......

Please tell me my box isnt ruined, I have aroudn 60 gigs of crap on here i need badly and cant lose. Any help would be excellent.........

Re:Superblock error, lilo prob, all hell

hi rick,
    i am sure you ahve tried a rescue disk and edited the boot label. have you run a fsck.ext3, or what ever file system you use?

I have no boot disk I tried running the e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/md1 but i get same bad superblock number error. But why would not being able to mount a raid drive that is only storage stop the box from booting anyways? The answer is because of this mandrake kernel i installed/uninstalled....Its still looking for 2.4.19-24 shit that isnt there. I think if i could just get lilo edited and taken effect, it would boot my regular kernel and all would be good (hopefully) ........Any idea how i can make my lilo take effect and boot the proper kernel????

i think lilo -R is a option to boot a one time config... please don't quote me on that

been reading and readin, people seem to suggest Knoppix? My question is how would this help me change my lilo, i really think this is my biggest problem...

**UPDATE** Its fixed! All I needed was to simply insert Mandrake CD1, select Expert Upgrade, choose no new packages, and let it rewrite the lilo for me =)

Good Guru

[me=Schotty]takes note[/me]

thanks rick!

and glad to see ya fixed it

Hey schotty! Come stop by the channel sometime man, people been coming in alot more lately =)

Good Guru

Hehe, I have noticed. My buddy smu is in there now and then and he keeps asking about these dudes I never talked to.