Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request: What is linux?

Request: What is linux?

in calc today i had a friend say "So kevin, tell me about this LIE-nucks thing."

expense and not-being-crap-like-xp were the primary reasons for interest.

but anyway the point is a nice PET about what exactly is linux and how it's different from windows and why people should use it instead would be nice. because when people doesn't understand what an OS is what do you tell them?

Re:Request: What is linux?

Linux is a kernel, the layer between software and hardware. In other words Linux is not an Operating System. GNU/Linux is the operating system most of you are using, which has all the command line tools, compilers, and graphic shtuff if you so choose to throw that into the mix.

Linux is the light in the darkness. The bane of propriatary software. The OS of the damned. The TERROR OF MICROSOFT!!!!! >

er..sorry got kinda carried away, but you gotta admit it sounds cool.

Good Guru

Linux is that shot of Bourbon when you :

A) Got fired
    B) Crashed your car
    C) Bitch ass ho girlfriend dumped ya
    D) Beer in fridge went AWOL (probably hanging out near Liverpool)

Linux it is what will make the future of Computer users smart.

What? we need smart operators? Naw just point and click. If it breaks just call tech support or Lan ops.

Heaven forbid we actually control our own electronic destiny.

Ras

[quote author=socomm link=board=23;threadid=6508;start=0#61306 date=1046826672]
    Linux is a kernel, the layer between software and hardware. In other words Linux is not an Operating System. GNU/Linux is the operating system most of you are using, which has all the command line tools, compilers, and graphic shtuff if you so choose to throw that into the mix.
    [/quote]

See, if they pronounce it LIE-nuhcks, chances are pretty good that they won't give a rat's ass about this. A basic overview of what it is (coming from your average windows user who can surf, office, change background, and maybe do a few little tricks here and there with windows) would be really helpful. Not something aimed at people who know what an OS and kernel are...of COURSE those people know what linux is. Something aimed at the reasonably-savvy but below the techies would be good. I'll think about this when I get some time (if someone doesn't beat me to it).

Okey dokey! The anatomy of an operating system, hardware, kernel, and the shell. Hardware, this the actual machine with all the fancy lights, bells, whistles, CPU, printer, scanners, and all the tangled up mess grabbing at your leg everytime you sit down at your terminal. The kernel, this is the resource manager, the peanut butter and jelly between the hardware and the top layer of the OS ( read: userland ). Und finally the shell this totally depends on your taste, or the taste of whomever put together your setup, the basic ones are C Shell ( CSH ) , Bourne shell( BASH ), and some other I can't recall now. Thats the basic shpill on UN*X, UN*X like oses. Oh yes the top layer includes filesystems, utlities, and all the apps needed by those that aren't yet fluent in binary.

Linux is the sane choice.....

My roommate always pronounces it as Lie-nucks, no matter how many times i tell him, he will never get it right. I think some of these descriptions are a lil scary for end users, they would probably just roll their eyes and go "ooooookayyyyyyy". I just tell people linux does everything windows does, but better. The only problems you'll have is when it comes to playing games, that can be tricky. As for your favorite software like Photoshop and stuff you have The GIMP, for every windows prog there is an open source alternative usually. Then again, everyone tells me they love XP and it never crashes and it looks cool and it does everything they want and they can play the games, so I usually just get shot down hehe. Im just like, hey man whatever floats your boat, trying to convert people is hard work though, I'm done with it.

XP has clearly changed the name of the game