Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Need a new printer (recommendations?)

Thread: Need a new printer (recommendations?)

Need a new printer (recommendations?)

Hi

I need a new printer that prints black good (don't care much for colour) and that is linux-friendly (i.e., requires least amount of work to set up) and preferably under $100 CAN (uh...ballpark $50 US).

Recommendations?

Thanks

Re:Need a new printer (recommendations?)

[quote author=kozumo link=board=14;threadid=6490;start=0#61218 date=1046732986]
    Hi

I need a new printer that prints black good (don't care much for colour) and that is linux-friendly (i.e., requires least amount of work to set up) and preferably under $100 CAN (uh...ballpark $50 US).

Recommendations? I'd suggest Epson; historically, that's one of the friendliest hardware producers as far as Linux is concerned. I've had absolutely no problem with any Epson printer I've owned; my model 640 (now discontinued) was easier and quicker to set up using Linux + CUPS than it was in Win98.

Thanks
    [/quote]

Re:Need a new printer (recommendations?)

I've also heard that epsons are good. Personally, I've got a Canon BJC-240. It works great in CUPS with the BJC-600 driver. And I also have an HP 550 that works 100% with it's driver. I know they're not new (the HP being quite older). But they setup as quickly in CUPS as with windows and work good as postscript printers (which I needed for my old but trusted WordPerfect 8). If you can find a good one on e-bay you can get these as a good cheap workhorse.