Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Internal DNS lookup failure

Thread: Internal DNS lookup failure

Mentor

Internal DNS lookup failure

I'm running slack 9.0beta on a home network. There are 4 PC's, and all are connected to an 8 port switch, which is connected to a D-Link DSL 500 ADSL Modem/Router. We can all access the net fine, and all the windows users can access each other easily, but I can't seem to resolve their hostnames, and they can't resolve mine. I can ping their IP's, but their hostname just fails, and vice versa. I have absolutely no idea on whats causing it, and any help would be greatly appreciated as always.
    Cheers
    CP

Re:Internal DNS lookup failure

Add them to your HOSTS file.

Mentor

Thanks for that, I can now ping them by name, but they still can't get me by name. It's kinda frustrating as to access my webserver they have to use the IP, anyone have any other ideas on what it could be?
    Cheers
    CP

Add the same info to their host files?

Windows 95/98/M3 c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Mentor

But it works fine when I'm in windows, and they see each other OK, so why me?

I am not sure, but that would be a workaround.

Mentor

I would like to know a fix though, I mean a workaround is useful, but if we ever plug another PC in for games or something like that, it'll involve doing the workaround on theirs too, so if anyone knows a fix then I would be most happy
    Cheers
    CP

Good Guru

Individually, all of your boxes (NIX I may add) use the hosts file for DNS. For all other, a DNS server would be queried. So, to make life easier, if you have alot of machines, to keep from having to spend all day fixing minor changes in LAN topology on EVERY machine, you could setup BIND and have all of the machines use that as a internal DNS.

Mentor

The thing is that I was running mandrake before I put slack on and it worked fine, and before that I was using LFS which worked fine, I'm leaning towards a bug in slack9.0beta, cause I've never had this happen before and its specific to this distro, can anyone else confirm/deny my suspicions?
    Cheers
    CP